[Slovak-World] Re: Votrubova Chata

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
      "Chata" is a hut, while "chyz~a" is a cottage. My parents never
      referred to their home in the village as anything other than "nas~a
      chyz~a".

      Helen

      >>> sandman6294@... 03/02/05 1:07 AM >>>

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...> wrote:

      > The three photos are loaded at the Photos part of the
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World
      > site under "Votruba Hut". I will take the photos down in a few
      > weeks. They are a beautiful example of a traditional hut in the
      > European mountains. It is a nice look back in time.

      What a difference about 15 degrees in latitude (49 vs 35) makes.
      I've been living at 1675 meters for 43 years and we don't have
      mountain brigades and skiing here. By the way, anyone know what the
      difference between "chata" and "chyz^a" is?

      RU

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
        Thank you, Ron, for the information and for the great photos. It's
        interesting that the German text translates the Predne Kopske sedlo
        in the Slovak text you posted as "White Saddle." It indeed is above
        White Lake (Tarn) where the newer hut was built (it's not there any
        more, either), but the mountain pass hasn't been called that in
        Slovak.

        > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a"

        As Helen said, chyza is a traditional word for a small house. It was
        also used to mean "a room." Chata is more recent, from the German
        Hu"tte. It only means a mountain chalet/hut, or a summer
        cottage/house today. But I recall it from at least one poem from the
        19th century in the sense of "a house," although it could have been
        used because of the rhyme.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • sandman6294
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
          > "Chata" is a hut, while "chyz~a" is a cottage. My parents never
          > referred to their home in the village as anything other than "nas~a
          > chyz~a".
          >
          > Helen

          Thanks Helen. That was the term my parents also used. For some
          reason I got the impression it was a synonym for hut and "chata" was
          a cottage. I wasn't able to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak
          dictionaries. Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

          RU
        • sandman6294
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>
            wrote:
            > > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a"
            >
            > As Helen said, chyza is a traditional word for a small house. It
            was also used to mean "a room." Chata is more recent, from the
            German Hu"tte. It only means a mountain chalet/hut, or a summer
            cottage/house today.< But I recall it from at least one poem
            from...<

            Thanks Martin. As I mentioned to Helen, I couldn't find chyz^a in
            the dictionaries that I have access to. I had heard of "dacha" the
            Russian term for summer home or cottage but not "chata". My first
            encounter with "chata" was when I visited my cousin in Prague. They
            have a chata in the countryside outside Prague. I thought it was a
            Czech term.

            RU
          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
              > to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak dictionaries.
              > Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

              It is (was) quite common all over, RU, and in other Slavic languages,
              too. But it has an old-fashioned ring to it today, so that's why a
              shorter dictionary might not include it. Here's part of a song (the
              words _zochabit_ and _skarat_ are typical of East Slovak; na Kriza is
              Sept. 14):

              Zochabil ma frajer na sameho kriza,
              bodaj mu zhorela do jesene chyza.
              Do jesene chyza, do jari stodola,
              nechze ho skaraju tieto moje slova.

              "My boyfriend ditched me on 'would-you-believe-it' Holy Cross Day;
              let his cottage all burn down by fall. His cottage by fall, his barn
              by spring; let these words of mine curse him."

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                It's Slovak, but not much used, I guess. I looked in a smallish
                (pocket-ish) dictionary and a large Slovak-Eng. dictionary and found
                only "chyz~na" (chambermaid), but found "chyz~a" in the Slovak-Slovak
                dictionary put out by the Slovak Academy of Sciences.

                Helen

                >>> sandman6294@... 03/02/05 12:20 PM >>>

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
                > "Chata" is a hut, while "chyz~a" is a cottage. My parents never
                > referred to their home in the village as anything other than "nas~a
                > chyz~a".
                >
                > Helen

                Thanks Helen. That was the term my parents also used. For some
                reason I got the impression it was a synonym for hut and "chata" was
                a cottage. I wasn't able to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak
                dictionaries. Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

                RU

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                To visit your group on the web, go to:
              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                  I cannot believe those photos could ever be confused
                  with a 'hut' -- I'd say they look like Swiss skiing
                  chalets -- or lodges -- but 'hut' -- I just don't get
                  how hut applies to construction/architecture that
                  nice.

                  Caye

                  --- sandman6294 <sandman6294@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27"
                  > <rmat@p...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The three photos are loaded at the Photos part of
                  > the
                  > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World
                  > > site under "Votruba Hut". I will take the photos
                  > down in a few
                  > > weeks. They are a beautiful example of a
                  > traditional hut in the
                  > > European mountains. It is a nice look back in
                  > time.
                  >
                  > What a difference about 15 degrees in latitude (49
                  > vs 35) makes.
                  > I've been living at 1675 meters for 43 years and we
                  > don't have
                  > mountain brigades and skiing here. By the way,
                  > anyone know what the
                  > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a" is?
                  >
                  > RU

                  __________________________________
                  Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
                • amiak27
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                    Caye,

                    The term simply has an entirely different meaning than we are
                    accustomed to applying with our English version of 'hut'. In Alaska
                    the huts I have encountered are huts as we understand them, sparse
                    frame construction well built to withstand wind and weather,
                    anchored with cables into the rocks. Lightweight because all
                    material has to be hauled in by man-sled, dog-sled, back or
                    airplane. Some are clad in thin aluminum newspaper print sheets
                    which are / were used once and salvaged or sold to poor mountaineers.

                    The huts I have experinced in Austria and Switzerland have ranged
                    from relatively simple buildings with cold running water to wash up
                    with and outhouses over the edge of the morraine to very large,
                    multi-story, multi-room ... hotels. There is no other English word
                    I can name, with hot showers and flush toilets. Both simple and
                    elaborate offer a bar and kitchen, bunks and blankets. You bring
                    your own sheets. My first time hiking hut to hut I started quite
                    nervously, because I had NEVER gone into the mountains to overnight
                    without being fully self-sufficient. There are some good tales to
                    tell, up in them thar mountains!

                    I wish I spoke Slovak to duplicate the experience in the Tatras!

                    Ron

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>