Re: Votrubova Chata

  • sandman6294
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...> wrote:

      > The three photos are loaded at the Photos part of the
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World
      > site under "Votruba Hut". I will take the photos down in a few
      > weeks. They are a beautiful example of a traditional hut in the
      > European mountains. It is a nice look back in time.

      What a difference about 15 degrees in latitude (49 vs 35) makes.
      I've been living at 1675 meters for 43 years and we don't have
      mountain brigades and skiing here. By the way, anyone know what the
      difference between "chata" and "chyz^a" is?

      RU
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
        "Chata" is a hut, while "chyz~a" is a cottage. My parents never
        referred to their home in the village as anything other than "nas~a
        chyz~a".

        Helen

        >>> sandman6294@... 03/02/05 1:07 AM >>>

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...> wrote:

        > The three photos are loaded at the Photos part of the
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World
        > site under "Votruba Hut". I will take the photos down in a few
        > weeks. They are a beautiful example of a traditional hut in the
        > European mountains. It is a nice look back in time.

        What a difference about 15 degrees in latitude (49 vs 35) makes.
        I've been living at 1675 meters for 43 years and we don't have
        mountain brigades and skiing here. By the way, anyone know what the
        difference between "chata" and "chyz^a" is?

        RU

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:
      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
          Thank you, Ron, for the information and for the great photos. It's
          interesting that the German text translates the Predne Kopske sedlo
          in the Slovak text you posted as "White Saddle." It indeed is above
          White Lake (Tarn) where the newer hut was built (it's not there any
          more, either), but the mountain pass hasn't been called that in
          Slovak.

          > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a"

          As Helen said, chyza is a traditional word for a small house. It was
          also used to mean "a room." Chata is more recent, from the German
          Hu"tte. It only means a mountain chalet/hut, or a summer
          cottage/house today. But I recall it from at least one poem from the
          19th century in the sense of "a house," although it could have been
          used because of the rhyme.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • sandman6294
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
            > "Chata" is a hut, while "chyz~a" is a cottage. My parents never
            > referred to their home in the village as anything other than "nas~a
            > chyz~a".
            >
            > Helen

            Thanks Helen. That was the term my parents also used. For some
            reason I got the impression it was a synonym for hut and "chata" was
            a cottage. I wasn't able to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak
            dictionaries. Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

            RU
          • sandman6294
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>
              wrote:
              > > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a"
              >
              > As Helen said, chyza is a traditional word for a small house. It
              was also used to mean "a room." Chata is more recent, from the
              German Hu"tte. It only means a mountain chalet/hut, or a summer
              cottage/house today.< But I recall it from at least one poem
              from...<

              Thanks Martin. As I mentioned to Helen, I couldn't find chyz^a in
              the dictionaries that I have access to. I had heard of "dacha" the
              Russian term for summer home or cottage but not "chata". My first
              encounter with "chata" was when I visited my cousin in Prague. They
              have a chata in the countryside outside Prague. I thought it was a
              Czech term.

              RU
            • Martin Votruba
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                > to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak dictionaries.
                > Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

                It is (was) quite common all over, RU, and in other Slavic languages,
                too. But it has an old-fashioned ring to it today, so that's why a
                shorter dictionary might not include it. Here's part of a song (the
                words _zochabit_ and _skarat_ are typical of East Slovak; na Kriza is
                Sept. 14):

                Zochabil ma frajer na sameho kriza,
                bodaj mu zhorela do jesene chyza.
                Do jesene chyza, do jari stodola,
                nechze ho skaraju tieto moje slova.

                "My boyfriend ditched me on 'would-you-believe-it' Holy Cross Day;
                let his cottage all burn down by fall. His cottage by fall, his barn
                by spring; let these words of mine curse him."

                Martin

                votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                  It's Slovak, but not much used, I guess. I looked in a smallish
                  (pocket-ish) dictionary and a large Slovak-Eng. dictionary and found
                  only "chyz~na" (chambermaid), but found "chyz~a" in the Slovak-Slovak
                  dictionary put out by the Slovak Academy of Sciences.

                  Helen

                  >>> sandman6294@... 03/02/05 12:20 PM >>>

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
                  > "Chata" is a hut, while "chyz~a" is a cottage. My parents never
                  > referred to their home in the village as anything other than "nas~a
                  > chyz~a".
                  >
                  > Helen

                  Thanks Helen. That was the term my parents also used. For some
                  reason I got the impression it was a synonym for hut and "chata" was
                  a cottage. I wasn't able to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak
                  dictionaries. Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

                  RU

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  To visit your group on the web, go to:
                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                    I cannot believe those photos could ever be confused
                    with a 'hut' -- I'd say they look like Swiss skiing
                    chalets -- or lodges -- but 'hut' -- I just don't get
                    how hut applies to construction/architecture that
                    nice.

                    Caye

                    --- sandman6294 <sandman6294@...> wrote:

                    > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27"
                    > <rmat@p...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The three photos are loaded at the Photos part of
                    > the
                    > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World
                    > > site under "Votruba Hut". I will take the photos
                    > down in a few
                    > > weeks. They are a beautiful example of a
                    > traditional hut in the
                    > > European mountains. It is a nice look back in
                    > time.
                    >
                    > What a difference about 15 degrees in latitude (49
                    > vs 35) makes.
                    > I've been living at 1675 meters for 43 years and we
                    > don't have
                    > mountain brigades and skiing here. By the way,
                    > anyone know what the
                    > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a" is?
                    >
                    > RU

                    __________________________________
                    Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
                  • amiak27
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                      Caye,

                      The term simply has an entirely different meaning than we are
                      accustomed to applying with our English version of 'hut'. In Alaska
                      the huts I have encountered are huts as we understand them, sparse
                      frame construction well built to withstand wind and weather,
                      anchored with cables into the rocks. Lightweight because all
                      material has to be hauled in by man-sled, dog-sled, back or
                      airplane. Some are clad in thin aluminum newspaper print sheets
                      which are / were used once and salvaged or sold to poor mountaineers.

                      The huts I have experinced in Austria and Switzerland have ranged
                      from relatively simple buildings with cold running water to wash up
                      with and outhouses over the edge of the morraine to very large,
                      multi-story, multi-room ... hotels. There is no other English word
                      I can name, with hot showers and flush toilets. Both simple and
                      elaborate offer a bar and kitchen, bunks and blankets. You bring
                      your own sheets. My first time hiking hut to hut I started quite
                      nervously, because I had NEVER gone into the mountains to overnight
                      without being fully self-sufficient. There are some good tales to
                      tell, up in them thar mountains!

                      I wish I spoke Slovak to duplicate the experience in the Tatras!

                      Ron

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>