"apos~tol", "armada", & "automat"

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      "trinasty apos~tol"

      the/an odd man out
      playing gooseberry {Any Anglophiles or Aussies care to explain
      this one?}

      "modra armada"

      railwaymen {anyone?}
      {What's the difference between
      "armada" and "vojsko"?}

      "(robit'...) ako automat"

      (do...) at high speed
      (do...) like lightening
      (do...) automatically
      (do...) by rote

      Helen
    • Scott T. Mikusko
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Helen Fedor wrote:

        > "trinasty apos~tol"
        >
        > the/an odd man out
        > playing gooseberry {Any Anglophiles or Aussies care to explain
        > this one?}

        "Playing gooseberry" is sort of that. It's more like being the third
        person on a date; inviting yourself to being "three's a crowd".

        source: my English wife. :)

        -S
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
          Any clue as to how "gooseberry" got into this saying?

          Helen

          >>> guerilla@... 03/01/05 10:19 AM >>>
          On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Helen Fedor wrote:

          > "trinasty apos~tol"
          >
          > the/an odd man out
          > playing gooseberry {Any Anglophiles or Aussies care to
          explain
          > this one?}

          "Playing gooseberry" is sort of that. It's more like being the third
          person on a date; inviting yourself to being "three's a crowd".

          source: my English wife. :)

          -S

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          To visit your group on the web, go to:
        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
            At 09:40 PM 1/03/2005, you wrote:

            >"trinasty apos~tol"
            >
            >the/an odd man out
            >playing gooseberry {Any Anglophiles or Aussies care to explain
            >this one?}

            Two is company three is a crowd. If you were with your
            boyfriend/girlfriend and a third person is there.

            Nick