Votrubova Chata

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2005
      Has anyone here heard of the Votrubova Chata, or Schronisko Votruby,
      1675m?

      Anyone want to hear about it?

      Just teasing. Patience please. Just for fun, maybe for information.

      Ron
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
        > Has anyone here heard of the Votrubova Chata,
        > or Schronisko Votruby, 1675m?

        Never heard of it, Ron... (ha). It hasn't been around for over 60
        years now. It was a hut in the Tatras named after General Jan
        Votruba who commanded the Czecho-Slovak units fighting the Polish
        Army in the area shortly after the creation of Czecho-Slovakia in
        1918. They fought over the northern parts of Spis County.

        There was eventually a negotiated solution: northern Spis and Orava
        went to Poland, and parts of Upper (southern) Silesia to
        Czecho-Slovakia (the two countries were fighting for territory in all
        the three regions). Some Slovaks thought it unfair that Prague
        effectively swapped what would have been part of Slovakia for what
        became part of the Czech lands.

        The hut was built by the army, but then served hikers.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" votruba
      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
          Martin,

          Thanks for the short version of the hut and better detailed version
          of the border dispute! I scanned the three photos so will post
          those, and have the text from the photos (1924,31, &36) here.
          From "Tatry" by Jan Gaspar, the Slovak original follows my
          trnaslation of the German:

          292 (1924) Votruba Hut - 1675m
          On strategic grounds during the time of the border dispute with
          Poland in 1922, the army built a sheltering hut southeast under the
          White saddle at the elevation of about 1675 meters. It was built by
          soldiers of the engineer company 2 Mountain brigade at the intiative
          and direction of StafCaptain Vaclav Dusil. It was named after the
          commander of the Brigade and chairman of the Under-Tatra Area
          (Untertatra-Gaus)of the KC^ST General Jan Votruba (1865-1935).
          Construction was supported with Kcs 12,300 from the central KC^ST in
          Prague. After the Czechoslovak-Polish border was finalized the hut
          was turned over to the administration of the Kezmarok section of the
          KC^ST.

          293 (1931) The hut was opened for tourists with a celebration July
          1, 1924 and the first season managers were two students. In the
          fall of 1924 the innkeeper Jozef Kerte'sz from Kexmarok took over
          operation of the hut until 1927. The Votruba Hut soon became the
          favorite ski center of the Czechoslovak public. Te hut was simply
          but efficiently outfitted for its purpose. It included a kitchen, a
          hallway, a dining room and a shared bunkroom with 32 beds.

          294 (1936) That was not adequate for the large crowds of visitors,
          so the Kezmarok section of the KC^ST built a frame addition on the
          back of the hut, where they had a dining room, two sleeping rooms
          and mansard rooms (under the roof). The capacity of the hut was
          thus increased to 45 beds.
          The addition was ready to use on September 18, 1932. The hut was
          under the care of Bohdan Pohla, who ran the hut until 1938. In 1942
          the VOtruba Hut was demolished and replaced by the somewhat lower
          Kezmarok Hut on the White
          Sea.

          292 Pofskom postavila armáda v roku 1922 juhovýchodne pod Predným
          Kopským sedlom vo vý¹ke asi 1675 rn ochrannú chatu. Stavali ju
          vojaci c ..-Pomenovali ju podfa velitefa brigády a predsedu
          Podtatranskej ¾upy KÈST generála Jana výstavbu sumou 12300 korún
          prispelo aj ústredie KÈST v Prahe.
          Keï boli èeskoslovensko-pofské hranice právoplatne ustálené, bola
          chata v roku 1924 odovzdaná do správy

          293 Pre turistov bola slávnostne otvorená 1. júla 1924 a jej prvými
          sezónnymi správcami boli dvaja ¹tudenti. V jeseni 1924 nastúpil za
          chatára]ozef Kertész z Ke¾marku, ktorý tu pósobil dQ roku 1927.
          Votrubova chata sa zakrátko stala obfúbeným Iy¾iar- skym strediskom
          èeskoslovenskej verejnosti. Bola jednoducho, ale úèelne zariadená,
          mala kuchyòu, predsieò, jedáleò a spoioè- nú nocfaháreò s 32
          postefami.

          294 To v¹ak vel'kej náv¹tevnosti nestaèilo a preto odbor KÈST z
          Ke¾marku vybudoval zo zadnej strany drevenú prístavbu, v ktorej bola
          jedáleò, dve nocfahárne a izby v manzardkách. Kapacita chaty sa
          zvý¹ila na 45 Ió¾ok.
          Prístavba bola daná do u¾ívania 18. septembra 1932. Vtedy tu bol
          chatárom Bohdan Pohla, ktorý tu pósobil a¾ do roku 1938, po òom
          Alojz Krupitzer. V roku 1942 Votrubovu chatu rozobrali a namiesto
          nej ni¾¹ie pri Bielych plesách postavili Ke¾marskú chatu.
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
            The three photos are loaded at the Photos part of the
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World
            site under "Votruba Hut". I will take the photos down in a few
            weeks. They are a beautiful example of a traditional hut in the
            European mountains. It is a nice look back in time.

            It was a surprise to run across the tidbit of history. Again,
            thanks for the history, Martin. It sure beats a one-liner in some
            general history book!

            Ron
          • sandman6294
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...> wrote:

              > The three photos are loaded at the Photos part of the
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World
              > site under "Votruba Hut". I will take the photos down in a few
              > weeks. They are a beautiful example of a traditional hut in the
              > European mountains. It is a nice look back in time.

              What a difference about 15 degrees in latitude (49 vs 35) makes.
              I've been living at 1675 meters for 43 years and we don't have
              mountain brigades and skiing here. By the way, anyone know what the
              difference between "chata" and "chyz^a" is?

              RU
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                "Chata" is a hut, while "chyz~a" is a cottage. My parents never
                referred to their home in the village as anything other than "nas~a
                chyz~a".

                Helen

                >>> sandman6294@... 03/02/05 1:07 AM >>>

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...> wrote:

                > The three photos are loaded at the Photos part of the
                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World
                > site under "Votruba Hut". I will take the photos down in a few
                > weeks. They are a beautiful example of a traditional hut in the
                > European mountains. It is a nice look back in time.

                What a difference about 15 degrees in latitude (49 vs 35) makes.
                I've been living at 1675 meters for 43 years and we don't have
                mountain brigades and skiing here. By the way, anyone know what the
                difference between "chata" and "chyz^a" is?

                RU

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                To visit your group on the web, go to:
              • Martin Votruba
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Thank you, Ron, for the information and for the great photos. It's
                  interesting that the German text translates the Predne Kopske sedlo
                  in the Slovak text you posted as "White Saddle." It indeed is above
                  White Lake (Tarn) where the newer hut was built (it's not there any
                  more, either), but the mountain pass hasn't been called that in
                  Slovak.

                  > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a"

                  As Helen said, chyza is a traditional word for a small house. It was
                  also used to mean "a room." Chata is more recent, from the German
                  Hu"tte. It only means a mountain chalet/hut, or a summer
                  cottage/house today. But I recall it from at least one poem from the
                  19th century in the sense of "a house," although it could have been
                  used because of the rhyme.

                  Martin

                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                • sandman6294
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
                    > "Chata" is a hut, while "chyz~a" is a cottage. My parents never
                    > referred to their home in the village as anything other than "nas~a
                    > chyz~a".
                    >
                    > Helen

                    Thanks Helen. That was the term my parents also used. For some
                    reason I got the impression it was a synonym for hut and "chata" was
                    a cottage. I wasn't able to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak
                    dictionaries. Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

                    RU
                  • sandman6294
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a"
                      >
                      > As Helen said, chyza is a traditional word for a small house. It
                      was also used to mean "a room." Chata is more recent, from the
                      German Hu"tte. It only means a mountain chalet/hut, or a summer
                      cottage/house today.< But I recall it from at least one poem
                      from...<

                      Thanks Martin. As I mentioned to Helen, I couldn't find chyz^a in
                      the dictionaries that I have access to. I had heard of "dacha" the
                      Russian term for summer home or cottage but not "chata". My first
                      encounter with "chata" was when I visited my cousin in Prague. They
                      have a chata in the countryside outside Prague. I thought it was a
                      Czech term.

                      RU
                    • Martin Votruba
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                        > to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak dictionaries.
                        > Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

                        It is (was) quite common all over, RU, and in other Slavic languages,
                        too. But it has an old-fashioned ring to it today, so that's why a
                        shorter dictionary might not include it. Here's part of a song (the
                        words _zochabit_ and _skarat_ are typical of East Slovak; na Kriza is
                        Sept. 14):

                        Zochabil ma frajer na sameho kriza,
                        bodaj mu zhorela do jesene chyza.
                        Do jesene chyza, do jari stodola,
                        nechze ho skaraju tieto moje slova.

                        "My boyfriend ditched me on 'would-you-believe-it' Holy Cross Day;
                        let his cottage all burn down by fall. His cottage by fall, his barn
                        by spring; let these words of mine curse him."

                        Martin

                        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                          It's Slovak, but not much used, I guess. I looked in a smallish
                          (pocket-ish) dictionary and a large Slovak-Eng. dictionary and found
                          only "chyz~na" (chambermaid), but found "chyz~a" in the Slovak-Slovak
                          dictionary put out by the Slovak Academy of Sciences.

                          Helen

                          >>> sandman6294@... 03/02/05 12:20 PM >>>

                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
                          > "Chata" is a hut, while "chyz~a" is a cottage. My parents never
                          > referred to their home in the village as anything other than "nas~a
                          > chyz~a".
                          >
                          > Helen

                          Thanks Helen. That was the term my parents also used. For some
                          reason I got the impression it was a synonym for hut and "chata" was
                          a cottage. I wasn't able to find "chyz^a" in my Slovak
                          dictionaries. Is it an Eastern dialect or Rusyn term?

                          RU

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                          To visit your group on the web, go to:
                        • Caye Caswick
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                            I cannot believe those photos could ever be confused
                            with a 'hut' -- I'd say they look like Swiss skiing
                            chalets -- or lodges -- but 'hut' -- I just don't get
                            how hut applies to construction/architecture that
                            nice.

                            Caye

                            --- sandman6294 <sandman6294@...> wrote:

                            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27"
                            > <rmat@p...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > The three photos are loaded at the Photos part of
                            > the
                            > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World
                            > > site under "Votruba Hut". I will take the photos
                            > down in a few
                            > > weeks. They are a beautiful example of a
                            > traditional hut in the
                            > > European mountains. It is a nice look back in
                            > time.
                            >
                            > What a difference about 15 degrees in latitude (49
                            > vs 35) makes.
                            > I've been living at 1675 meters for 43 years and we
                            > don't have
                            > mountain brigades and skiing here. By the way,
                            > anyone know what the
                            > difference between "chata" and "chyz^a" is?
                            >
                            > RU

                            __________________________________
                            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
                          • amiak27
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                              Caye,

                              The term simply has an entirely different meaning than we are
                              accustomed to applying with our English version of 'hut'. In Alaska
                              the huts I have encountered are huts as we understand them, sparse
                              frame construction well built to withstand wind and weather,
                              anchored with cables into the rocks. Lightweight because all
                              material has to be hauled in by man-sled, dog-sled, back or
                              airplane. Some are clad in thin aluminum newspaper print sheets
                              which are / were used once and salvaged or sold to poor mountaineers.

                              The huts I have experinced in Austria and Switzerland have ranged
                              from relatively simple buildings with cold running water to wash up
                              with and outhouses over the edge of the morraine to very large,
                              multi-story, multi-room ... hotels. There is no other English word
                              I can name, with hot showers and flush toilets. Both simple and
                              elaborate offer a bar and kitchen, bunks and blankets. You bring
                              your own sheets. My first time hiking hut to hut I started quite
                              nervously, because I had NEVER gone into the mountains to overnight
                              without being fully self-sufficient. There are some good tales to
                              tell, up in them thar mountains!

                              I wish I spoke Slovak to duplicate the experience in the Tatras!

                              Ron

                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>