Google map feature

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2005
      Of genealogical and general interest (also from the Avotanu mailing):

      New Google Map Feature
      Google is getting downright eerie. It is taking on more and more human-like
      features. Dick Eastman, publisher of Eastman's Online Genealogy Forum
      (http://www.eogn.com), noted that a new feature is Google's map abilities
      at http://maps.google.com. Key in any town in the U.S. and Google will
      locate it. Then key in an attribute such as "hotel," and it will locate all
      hotels in the area.

      When I keyed in Bergenfield, New Jersey, the town in which Avotaynu's
      offices are located, I got a map of the area. It was an eerie experience
      when I then gave Google the key word "Avotaynu". It not only identified
      where Avotaynu was located, but it also identified Jewish institutions in
      the area. Google apparently recognized that a principal attribute of
      Avotaynu is that it is a company that deals in Jewish matters; therefore,
      it provided the addresses of other local Jewish entities including Baron
      Hirsch Cemetery, Hachai Publishing, Statue of Liberty Ellis Island
      Foundation, Ergo Media (distributes Jewish videos), Pef Israel Endowment
      Funds Inc, Jacs Jewish Alcoholics, Central Conference of American Rabbis
      and United Jewish Appeal.

      A more practical use is for locating hotels and restaurants in a given area.