Re: [Slovak-World] Re: "ani", "anjel", "Anton"

  • agp@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2005
      A few interesting notes about the locos I see on that webpage

      First, did anyone else note that the Zeleny Anton is a Skoda!

      Here's a note from the incredibly useful WIkipedia (note of course that the
      S's in Skoda would have a caron above it to make it Sh-koda):
      As an interesting aside, Skoda (i.e. the family name of Emil Skoda, the
      enterpreneur who bought the firm in 1869) happens to mean also damage or
      "pity" in Czech. Consequently, "To je skoda" can mean either "It's a pity"
      or "That's a Skoda".

      One of the other trains there, the M61, is interesting as it is a double
      headed copy of US diesel locomotive.

      Tony P