Language signifiers.....

  • durisek@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2005
      Another good reason to study languages, I think, is that our brains form such
      strong connections between the words we use and the things the words
      represent that those words define our perceptions of the things. When we learn a new
      language, it pulls us out of our habitual connections and into recognizing new
      ones, allowing us to see things in a new light.
      Helen's idea of sending daily sayings is so interesting, because of the
      idioms, too. Another side thought is about my Slovak relatives' English. I've
      realized they speak English using Slovak grammar sometimes, like word order and
      different prepositions than I'd choose, and lots of confusion about articles
      like a and the. I am sure I sound like a cave-woman when I try to get a message
      across in Slovak, but then people tend to be kind and gracious and reaching
      toward understanding over perfection.
      Just a thought.... Zuzka