RE: [Slovak-World] Proverb for Thursday

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
      Or The early bird gets the worm.

      Amen to Nick's comment - I look forward to the proverbs too, one of
      the best things to come in on the list! Thanks Helen!

      Joe

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
        Not really. It's about being late.

        Helen

        >>> wfbrna@... 2/4/2005 6:27:51 AM >>>
        How about "Garbage in, garbage out" for a contemporary version?

        Bill Brna

        On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:28:06 +0800 Nick Holcz <nickh@...>
        writes:

        > At 12:21 AM 4/02/2005, you wrote:
        >
        > >"Kto neskoro chodi, sam sebe s~kodi"
        > >
        > >Last come, last served [author]
        > >
        > >He who arrives late hurts himself [his own cause]
        > >

        > >Helen
        >
        > I know the opposite " first in best dressed"
        >
        > Nick
        >
        > PS thanks for the proverbs I look forward to reading them

        To visit your group on the web, go to:
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
          My pleasure. I'm looking forward to doing the same thing with idioms
          when I'm done with the proverb book. It'll be a while though, as we're
          only in the Ks.

          Helen

          >>> JArmata@... 2/4/2005 8:20:18 AM >>>
          Or The early bird gets the worm.

          Amen to Nick's comment - I look forward to the proverbs too, one of
          the best things to come in on the list! Thanks Helen!

          Joe

          >He who arrives late hurts himself [his own cause]
          >

          >Helen

          I know the opposite " first in best dressed"

          Nick

          PS thanks for the proverbs I look forward to reading them

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          To visit your group on the web, go to:
        • sandman6294
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
            > My pleasure. I'm looking forward to doing the same thing with
            idioms
            > when I'm done with the proverb book. It'll be a while though, as
            we're
            > only in the Ks.
            >
            > Helen

            I use them to impress our social set. The proverbs come tripping off
            (or over) my tongue at our frequent dinners and soirees. ;-) Vdaka.
            As for idioms, as long as I'm not included in the list, it's fine
            with me.

            RU
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 10, 2005
              "Nac~ierat' vodu kos~om"

              To draw water in a sieve [author]

              To draw water in a basket [literal]

              Helen
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 7, 2005
                "Nes~tastie nechodi po horach, ale po l'udoch"
                literally: Misfortune doesn't walk among the hills/mts., it walks among people.
                Misfortunes seldom come singly [author]

                Helen
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 28 11:14 AM
                  "Remeslo ma zlate dno"
                  lit.: A craft has a golden base
                  He who has an art, has everything a part

                  You'll never go hungry if you know a craft????? A little elucidation, Martin?

                • Martin Votruba
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 28 4:32 PM
                    > "byt' ako cumlik"
                    > lit.: to be like a [baby's] pacifier ????????

                    Authors of dictionaries make use of other dictionaries published
                    earlier. My guess is that this phrase was picked up from a
                    Czech--English source, or that its use is highly regional in the
                    author's area (Trnava, whose dialect is closer to Czech than most
                    other varieties of Slovak). It's _jak cumel_ and fairly common as an
                    idiom in Czech, but I think that the Czech idiomatic meaning (as
                    opposed to the literal one "[used] as/like a [baby's] pacifier" that
                    you give, Helen) is practically non-existent in Slovak.

                    > "Remeslo ma zlate dno"
                    > lit.: A craft has a golden base
                    >
                    > A little elucidation, Martin?

                    I think many Slovaks would recognize this one, but its meaning is
                    just historical today. _Dno_ is "the bottom [of a vessel/body of
                    water]," so it's like "there's a gold bottom [line] to knowing a
                    craft." The message was that craftsmanship, manufacturing was more
                    profitable than farming.

                    Martin

                    votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 29 6:18 AM
                      Boy, am I ever glad we have you to untangle these for us.

                      >>> votrubam@... 07/28/05 7:32 PM >>>
                      > "byt' ako cumlik"
                      > lit.: to be like a [baby's] pacifier ????????

                      Authors of dictionaries make use of other dictionaries published
                      earlier. My guess is that this phrase was picked up from a
                      Czech--English source, or that its use is highly regional in the
                      author's area (Trnava, whose dialect is closer to Czech than most
                      other varieties of Slovak). It's _jak cumel_ and fairly common as an
                      idiom in Czech, but I think that the Czech idiomatic meaning (as
                      opposed to the literal one "[used] as/like a [baby's] pacifier" that
                      you give, Helen) is practically non-existent in Slovak.

                      > "Remeslo ma zlate dno"
                      > lit.: A craft has a golden base
                      >
                      > A little elucidation, Martin?

                      I think many Slovaks would recognize this one, but its meaning is
                      just historical today. _Dno_ is "the bottom [of a vessel/body of
                      water]," so it's like "there's a gold bottom [line] to knowing a
                      craft." The message was that craftsmanship, manufacturing was more
                      profitable than farming.

                      Martin

                      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS