Re: [Slovak-World] Proverb for Thursday

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
      How about "Garbage in, garbage out" for a contemporary version?

      Bill Brna

      On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:28:06 +0800 Nick Holcz <nickh@...>
      writes:

      > At 12:21 AM 4/02/2005, you wrote:
      >
      > >"Kto neskoro chodi, sam sebe s~kodi"
      > >
      > >Last come, last served [author]
      > >
      > >He who arrives late hurts himself [his own cause]
      > >

      > >Helen
      >
      > I know the opposite " first in best dressed"
      >
      > Nick
      >
      > PS thanks for the proverbs I look forward to reading them
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
        Or The early bird gets the worm.

        Amen to Nick's comment - I look forward to the proverbs too, one of
        the best things to come in on the list! Thanks Helen!

        Joe

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
          Not really. It's about being late.

          Helen

          >>> wfbrna@... 2/4/2005 6:27:51 AM >>>

          writes:

          > At 12:21 AM 4/02/2005, you wrote:
          >
          > >"Kto neskoro chodi, sam sebe s~kodi"
          > >
          > >Last come, last served [author]
          > >
          > >He who arrives late hurts himself [his own cause]
          > >

          > >Helen
          >
          > I know the opposite " first in best dressed"
          >
          > Nick
          >
          > PS thanks for the proverbs I look forward to reading them

          To visit your group on the web, go to:
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
            My pleasure. I'm looking forward to doing the same thing with idioms
            when I'm done with the proverb book. It'll be a while though, as we're
            only in the Ks.

            Helen

            >>> JArmata@... 2/4/2005 8:20:18 AM >>>
            Or The early bird gets the worm.

            Amen to Nick's comment - I look forward to the proverbs too, one of
            the best things to come in on the list! Thanks Helen!

            Joe

            >He who arrives late hurts himself [his own cause]
            >

            >Helen

            I know the opposite " first in best dressed"

            Nick

            PS thanks for the proverbs I look forward to reading them

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            To visit your group on the web, go to:
          • sandman6294
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
              > My pleasure. I'm looking forward to doing the same thing with
              idioms
              > when I'm done with the proverb book. It'll be a while though, as
              we're
              > only in the Ks.
              >
              > Helen

              I use them to impress our social set. The proverbs come tripping off
              (or over) my tongue at our frequent dinners and soirees. ;-) Vdaka.
              As for idioms, as long as I'm not included in the list, it's fine
              with me.

              RU
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 10, 2005
                "Nac~ierat' vodu kos~om"

                To draw water in a sieve [author]

                To draw water in a basket [literal]

                Helen
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 7, 2005
                  "Nes~tastie nechodi po horach, ale po l'udoch"
                  literally: Misfortune doesn't walk among the hills/mts., it walks among people.
                  Misfortunes seldom come singly [author]

                  Helen
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 28, 2005
                    "Remeslo ma zlate dno"
                    lit.: A craft has a golden base
                    He who has an art, has everything a part

                    You'll never go hungry if you know a craft????? A little elucidation, Martin?

                  • Martin Votruba
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 28, 2005
                      > "byt' ako cumlik"
                      > lit.: to be like a [baby's] pacifier ????????

                      Authors of dictionaries make use of other dictionaries published
                      earlier. My guess is that this phrase was picked up from a
                      Czech--English source, or that its use is highly regional in the
                      author's area (Trnava, whose dialect is closer to Czech than most
                      other varieties of Slovak). It's _jak cumel_ and fairly common as an
                      idiom in Czech, but I think that the Czech idiomatic meaning (as
                      opposed to the literal one "[used] as/like a [baby's] pacifier" that
                      you give, Helen) is practically non-existent in Slovak.

                      > "Remeslo ma zlate dno"
                      > lit.: A craft has a golden base
                      >
                      > A little elucidation, Martin?

                      I think many Slovaks would recognize this one, but its meaning is
                      just historical today. _Dno_ is "the bottom [of a vessel/body of
                      water]," so it's like "there's a gold bottom [line] to knowing a
                      craft." The message was that craftsmanship, manufacturing was more
                      profitable than farming.

                      Martin

                      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 29, 2005
                        Boy, am I ever glad we have you to untangle these for us.

                        >>> votrubam@... 07/28/05 7:32 PM >>>
                        > "byt' ako cumlik"
                        > lit.: to be like a [baby's] pacifier ????????

                        Authors of dictionaries make use of other dictionaries published
                        earlier. My guess is that this phrase was picked up from a
                        Czech--English source, or that its use is highly regional in the
                        author's area (Trnava, whose dialect is closer to Czech than most
                        other varieties of Slovak). It's _jak cumel_ and fairly common as an
                        idiom in Czech, but I think that the Czech idiomatic meaning (as
                        opposed to the literal one "[used] as/like a [baby's] pacifier" that
                        you give, Helen) is practically non-existent in Slovak.

                        > "Remeslo ma zlate dno"
                        > lit.: A craft has a golden base
                        >
                        > A little elucidation, Martin?

                        I think many Slovaks would recognize this one, but its meaning is
                        just historical today. _Dno_ is "the bottom [of a vessel/body of
                        water]," so it's like "there's a gold bottom [line] to knowing a
                        craft." The message was that craftsmanship, manufacturing was more
                        profitable than farming.

                        Martin

                        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS