Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak/Hungarian borrowings

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3 11:53 AM
      > last name of some family friends: "Bajus" Does this belong to another
      > category of suffix?

      I don't think that contains a suffix. Its "whiskers" (in Hungarian:
      bajusz). That's almost a historical name!

      Daniel Speer, a German from Silesia, went to study music in Kezmarok, and
      lived and traveled elsewhere in east Slovakia for a few years in the 1650s.
      He was in his late teens/early twenties then. He later published a book
      about it, one of those "Simplicissimus" adventure stories (Ungarischer oder
      dacianischer Simplicissimus...).

      One of its high points was his capture by highwaymen somewhere between Spis
      and Saris Counties. Speer said that he spoke "half Slovak, half Rusyn" to
      their three leaders, because they were all Rusyns. He gives their names as
      Janko Paholok (whose surname Speer spells _Pacholek_ and explains as "the
      Bold Guy"), Havran (which Speer spells _Hafran_ and explains as "Raven")
      and -- Bajuz.

      Speer spells it _Beyhus_ and doesn't explain it, but it's highly likely that
      it was Bajuz/"Whiskers." The word _bajuzy_ (whiskers, mustache) occurs in
      conversational Slovak today, too.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3 12:38 PM
        My mother liked to tell the story (to my chagrin, of course) that I once
        asked her if Mrs. Bajus had "bajusy" too (just for the record, she was a
        sweet lady and didn't).

        Helen

        >>> votrubam@... 2/3/2005 2:53:06 PM >>>
        > last name of some family friends: "Bajus" Does this belong to
        another
        > category of suffix?

        I don't think that contains a suffix. Its "whiskers" (in Hungarian:
        bajusz). That's almost a historical name!

        Daniel Speer, a German from Silesia, went to study music in Kezmarok,
        and
        lived and traveled elsewhere in east Slovakia for a few years in the
        1650s.
        He was in his late teens/early twenties then. He later published a
        book
        about it, one of those "Simplicissimus" adventure stories (Ungarischer
        oder
        dacianischer Simplicissimus...).

        One of its high points was his capture by highwaymen somewhere between
        Spis
        and Saris Counties. Speer said that he spoke "half Slovak, half Rusyn"
        their three leaders, because they were all Rusyns. He gives their
        names as
        Janko Paholok (whose surname Speer spells _Pacholek_ and explains as
        "the
        Bold Guy"), Havran (which Speer spells _Hafran_ and explains as
        "Raven")
        and -- Bajuz.

        Speer spells it _Beyhus_ and doesn't explain it, but it's highly likely
        that
        it was Bajuz/"Whiskers." The word _bajuzy_ (whiskers, mustache) occurs
        in
        conversational Slovak today, too.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu