Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovak-American Christmas Memories

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 76 , Jan 4, 2005
      I wanna come to your house for X-mas [Eve] Dinner,
      Michelle -- I love all fishes (too bad there are only
      7 classically) -- and not much can top lasagna.

      Caye

      --- Michelle A Mader <Michelle.A.Mader@...>
      wrote:

      > Wm. Brna wrote:
      >
      > >Whose traditions do we hold? I am Slovak, born of
      > Slovak parents, my
      > >wife is Norwegian, born of Norwegian ancestry.
      >
      > Amen. My father was Slovak, born of immigrant
      > Slovak parents. My
      > mother was Croatian and Italian, again born of
      > immigrant parents. My
      > husband is from Germany. To top it off, both of my
      > parents and all of my
      > grandparents were dead by the time I turned 16 and
      > since none of them
      > had anticipated my parents dying early, they didn't
      > leave any of the
      > traditional
      > recipes.
      >
      > Add to that the personal preferences of the people
      > involved. I grew up having
      > poppyseed roll an nut roll for breakfast on
      > Christmas morning. My husband and
      > children dislike both of them so we've created our
      > own traditional breakfast.
      >
      > I grew up with the 7 kinds of fish Christmas Eve
      > dinner. My children don't
      > like
      > fish.
      >
      > A few things developed with time and my children
      > think of them as traditions
      > even though they're relatively new even to my
      > husband and myself. For example,
      > I wasn't sure for a while if my kids knew that not
      > everyone has lasagna for
      > Christmas dinner.
      >

      > Michelle Maco Mader
      > Cleveland, Ohio USA

      http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 7, 2005
        > they should associate it with an apple other than it's a
        > fruit and it's red.

        That happened a lot that people likened a new thing to the closest
        thing they knew. _Corn_ used to describe grains, which are rather
        unlike corn/maze (once it was cultivated), but when the Anglos began
        to grow it on a large scale in America, they actually made the word
        _corn_ mean "maze." You mostly have to say grains, cereals today to
        make it clear that you don't mean corn/maze.

        The word _mel-_ that gave today's "melon" in English used to describe
        a variety of round fruits including, e.g., oranges, which still shows
        in the word _marmalade_.

        > Now I don't know if the forbidden fruit was an
        > apple or a tomato.

        Ha, ha, RU, it has to be the pomo d'oro down there in El Dorado.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu