Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovak-American Christmas Memories

  • Michelle A Mader
    Message 1 of 76 , Jan 4, 2005
      Wm. Brna wrote:

      >Whose traditions do we hold? I am Slovak, born of Slovak parents, my
      >wife is Norwegian, born of Norwegian ancestry.

      Amen. My father was Slovak, born of immigrant Slovak parents. My
      mother was Croatian and Italian, again born of immigrant parents. My
      husband is from Germany. To top it off, both of my parents and all of my
      grandparents were dead by the time I turned 16 and since none of them
      had anticipated my parents dying early, they didn't leave any of the
      traditional
      recipes.

      Add to that the personal preferences of the people involved. I grew up having
      poppyseed roll an nut roll for breakfast on Christmas morning. My husband and
      children dislike both of them so we've created our own traditional breakfast.

      I grew up with the 7 kinds of fish Christmas Eve dinner. My children don't
      like
      fish.

      A few things developed with time and my children think of them as traditions
      even though they're relatively new even to my husband and myself. For example,
      I wasn't sure for a while if my kids knew that not everyone has lasagna for
      Christmas dinner.

      Michelle Maco Mader
      Cleveland, Ohio USA
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 7, 2005
        > they should associate it with an apple other than it's a
        > fruit and it's red.

        That happened a lot that people likened a new thing to the closest
        thing they knew. _Corn_ used to describe grains, which are rather
        unlike corn/maze (once it was cultivated), but when the Anglos began
        to grow it on a large scale in America, they actually made the word
        _corn_ mean "maze." You mostly have to say grains, cereals today to
        make it clear that you don't mean corn/maze.

        The word _mel-_ that gave today's "melon" in English used to describe
        a variety of round fruits including, e.g., oranges, which still shows
        in the word _marmalade_.

        > Now I don't know if the forbidden fruit was an
        > apple or a tomato.

        Ha, ha, RU, it has to be the pomo d'oro down there in El Dorado.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu