Polka night at my house!

  • agp@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
      Hi everyone!

      Long time ago on this I mentioned that I was fond of some of the old polkas
      that my grandparents listened to. We used to have a stack of 78 on Dana
      record label. They were all Polish polkas, by my grandpap and grandma,
      coming from Malcov and Kurov, just a stones throw from the polish border
      (heck in Kurov, you can look out the window see the border!) enjoyed them
      immensely.

      One I was looking for was Frank Wojnarowski singing Gdzies byl Jasienku
      (Where are you Johnny?).

      Today I received an item that I won on eBay. A stack of 17 old Dana 78s
      including Gdzies byl Jasienku! Oh wow, does this take me back to my
      childhood. I am told that my dad would rock me to sleep with this polka. I
      sang it for Sister Hubert at St Vincent's grade school in 1st grade.

      I haven't listen to all of them yet, but what I have heard have been
      winners. These are great.

      I digisted some to play on my iPod. Could I be the only person with old
      polka 78s on an iPod?

      Anyway, I'm almost tempted to skip out of Knights of Columbus meeting
      tonight and play the lot. Its a happy toe tapping time around here! Any
      ladies with steel toed shoes care to dance?

      Tony Pavick

      BTW -- Johnny was under the feather bed :-)
    • mrbob120@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
        Do you listen to "247 polka heaven " while you read your emails?

      • krejc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
          In a message dated 1/3/05 7:18:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, agp@...
          writes:
          Today I received an item that I won on eBay. A stack of 17 old Dana 78s
          Tony,
          last year the local A&P sold a wonderful wooden record player made by
          Sylvania. for $99, i got a record player, CD player, cassette player and AM/FM radio
          all wrapped into one. i have not stopped using it. it looks like the old
          fashioned wooden ones and sits on top of the table. now i can play all my old
          albums again.
          i think that record players must be making a comeback and that people are
          enjoying the old albums once again.
          congratulations on your Ebay find!!!
          Noreen

        • agp@telerama.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
            At 00:38 04/01/2005, Mrbob120@... wrote:
            >Do you listen to "247 polka heaven " while you read your emails?

            Can't say that I do. Truth be told, I was never really a fan of 'modern'
            polkas like those that get played on the radio today. Give me those oldies
            but goodies!

            Tony
          • agp@telerama.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
              At 09:06 04/01/2005, Noreen wrote:
              >Tony,
              >last year the local A&P sold a wonderful wooden record player made by
              >Sylvania. for $99

              It is amazing that after years of not being able to buy a record player,
              and many many more years of not being able to buy one that plays 78s that
              you can get one fairly easily and cheaply these days.

              I bought an old one that was used in a school. These are built like tanks!
              Since then I've been buying 78s on eBay like crazy. Only at my place have
              you hear a polka followed by Buddy Holly!

              Tony