Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovak-American Christmas Memories

  • Vlad Nad
    Message 1 of 76 , Jan 3, 2005
      William,

      My wife is not Slovak either, but when she married me, she accepted me for who I am. I am born of Slovak parents also, and my wife is Danish, but she has learned to appreciate our tradition, as well as our children. I remember when they were young they didnt like some of the food that was our traditional Christmas eve meal, but now they look forward to it, and do not want to miss it for it has become an important part of theit lives also. You hold to what ever traditions are important to you, if you are not supportive of Slovak ones, then you can observe hers since she has none.

      William F Brna <wfbrna@...> wrote:
      Whose traditions do we hold? I am Slovak, born of Slovak parents, my
      wife is Norwegian, born of Norwegian ancestry. She basically has no
      Christmas traditions, while I remember quite clearly what my parents
      observed. I have been able to continue some of the traditional foods,
      primarily because my wife is an excellent cook and is willing to try
      anything, however some of the Christmas Eve foods have no meaning for
      her. Why should she be interested in Slovak Christmas foods or
      traditions? We have been married over forty-five years and have
      developed our own Christmas traditions, some of which are neither Slovak
      nor Norwegian.

      William F. Brna

      On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 15:33:15 -0800 (PST) Vlad Nad <vladnadd@...>
      writes:

      > Ron,
      >
      > I disagree, if we dont hold to the Slovak traditions as they
      > were when our ancestors came from Slovakia, and change them to meet
      > our current times, then what value did they have?
      >
      > Vlad
      >
      > sandman6294 <sandman6294@...> wrote:
      >
      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...> wrote:
      > >
      > > This is a good indication we should not shy away from changing
      > Slovak
      > > traditions to fit times and tastes. 300 years ago everyone knew
      > the
      > > tomato was poisnous, so it likely was not a part of the Slovak
      > diet!
      > >
      > > Ron
      >
      > You mean Marko Poloko wasn't Slovak?
      >
      > RU
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      > Service.

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 76 of 76 , Jan 7, 2005
        > they should associate it with an apple other than it's a
        > fruit and it's red.

        That happened a lot that people likened a new thing to the closest
        thing they knew. _Corn_ used to describe grains, which are rather
        unlike corn/maze (once it was cultivated), but when the Anglos began
        to grow it on a large scale in America, they actually made the word
        _corn_ mean "maze." You mostly have to say grains, cereals today to
        make it clear that you don't mean corn/maze.

        The word _mel-_ that gave today's "melon" in English used to describe
        a variety of round fruits including, e.g., oranges, which still shows
        in the word _marmalade_.

        > Now I don't know if the forbidden fruit was an
        > apple or a tomato.

        Ha, ha, RU, it has to be the pomo d'oro down there in El Dorado.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu