Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovak family history/ traditions

  • emcs
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2005
      Vlad wrote " I disagree, if we don't hold to the Slovak traditions as they were when our ancestors came from Slovakia, and change them to meet our current times, then what value did they have? "

      Hi Vlad and folks,

      I have found the comments re Christmas very interesting.
      I wanted to learn a little more about the beliefs and ideas which contributes to the unique outlook of people from Slovakia and the values and traditions that are "invisible luggage" that creates our inner world. Reading your contributions helps me to expand my own understanding so thanks to all who contribute.

      Maybe values and traditions change according to the circumstances.
      Here in Australia "make love not war" has created some interesting family mixes. Today our extended family and friends include descendants of many European families. In the "old" countries they were making war. In Australia they were making love.
      The traditional family Christmas may now include a mix of many tastes and customs but set in a warm climate as summer holidays and Christmas are combined.
      Despite the abundance of fresh cherries, peaches and plums in December a "traditional" Christmas meal may include recipes that are made from dried and preserved fruits and cooked during heat wave conditions.
      Our Christmas cards often depict snow scenes even if we ourselves are more likely to found on the beach during the festive season. "White Christmas" may mean holidays on the white sands or surfing white waves.
      As the Christmas festival is so turned upside down in Australia "Christmas in July" feasts are sometimes held so we can experience the hot meals at the same time it is cold weather just because it is yummy so the 'tradition' is upheld at a more appropriate season.

      I read that some of you are interested in genealogy.
      Has anyone made a collection of the books and web sites that could have information about family history and political history.
      Does anyone know which archives are accessible and what information is still available in them.

      I particularly wanted to find information about the family of Sonnenfeld from Bratislava.
      This family may once have had vast tracts of land, influence and status.
      What did this family represent over the centuries and what happened to the family?

      What traditions were forever changed by political intervention?

      Can anyone please direct me to where can information that is still available can best be discovered ?

      Thank you from
      Liz

      I disagree, if we dont hold to the Slovak traditions as they were when our ancestors came from Slovakia, and change them to meet our current times, then what value did they have?

      Vlad