Re: [Slovak-World] Any ideas on what this means?

  • BJLK@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2005
      In a message dated 1/1/2005 10:04:10 AM Central Standard Time, hfed@...
      writes:

      I've been at home all week, so I don't have anything more than a small
      (inadequate) dictionary at hand. The phrase is "Hod flinky do z~ita".

      One of my dictionaries translated "hodit' flintu do z~ita" as "throw in the
      towel." The literal translation of "throw the rifle into the wheat" doesn't
      make too much sense to me, but it may be a folksy reference to something that
      I don't recognize.

      B. J.
      ____________________________
      B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)
    • mario veneni
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
        Dear Helen,

        this is a old folk sentence . Word for word : throw
        the gun to the rye - subject or the idea is : to give
        up of something or abdication
        The old expression FLINTA is pop-gun

        regards,

        Mario.