Any ideas on what this means?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
      I'm translating a letter for a friend and have come across a phrase
      that's stumped me. I've been at home all week, so I don't have anything
      more than a small (inadequate) dictionary at hand. The phrase is "Hod
      flinky do z~ita".

      Helen

      Helen Fedor
      European Division
      Library of Congress
      10 E. First St., S.E.
      Washington, D.C. 20540-4830
      tel. (202) 707-3704
      fax (202) 707-8482
      <hfed@...>
    • BJLK@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2005
        In a message dated 1/1/2005 10:04:10 AM Central Standard Time, hfed@...
        writes:

        I've been at home all week, so I don't have anything more than a small
        (inadequate) dictionary at hand. The phrase is "Hod flinky do z~ita".

        One of my dictionaries translated "hodit' flintu do z~ita" as "throw in the
        towel." The literal translation of "throw the rifle into the wheat" doesn't
        make too much sense to me, but it may be a folksy reference to something that
        I don't recognize.

        B. J.
        ____________________________
        B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)
      • mario veneni
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
          Dear Helen,

          this is a old folk sentence . Word for word : throw
          the gun to the rye - subject or the idea is : to give
          up of something or abdication
          The old expression FLINTA is pop-gun

          regards,

          Mario.