Re: [Slovak-World] degrees of relationship and DNA

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2004
      Interesting . . . thank you for sharing . . . the part
      about partners and shared lifestyles caught my eye in
      particular.

      Caye

      --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

      > Thought I'd pass on this little tidbit, since many
      > of us are doing family
      > genealogies and finding Slovak cousins who are
      > related by various
      > degrees. The article from which this comes is about
      > cancer and
      > heredity....but the line that caught my attention is
      > the degrees of
      > relatives and the amount of DNA in common. (I
      > assume that by "x per cent",
      > they actually mean "up to x per cent". Dr. Q, am I
      > right?)
      >
      > Since I'm my own fifth cousin, I'm still trying to
      > figure out the
      > implications of this for me..... :-)
      >
      > Julie Michutka
      > jmm@...
      > ******************
      > From
      > http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/dec/28cancer.htm :
      > Many cancers hereditary, says study................
      > A first-degree relative is a parent or child or
      > sibling who shares 50 per
      > cent of an individual's DNA. Fifth-degree relatives,
      > such as
      > great-great-great grandparents, share 3.125 per cent
      > of DNA with the patient.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 29, 2004
        Michelle is correct. The percentages are a simple
        mathematical progression of 1/(2^n) so for the fifth
        generation 2^n becomes 2^5 (two to the fifth power) =
        32; 1/32 = 0.003125 = 3.125%. This is the percent of
        each great great great grandparent's DNA a fifth
        generation person is made up of.

        Dr. "Q"

        --- Michelle A Mader <Michelle.A.Mader@...>

        http://my.yahoo.com