Man at the door for luck

  • Victoria Hospodar Valentine
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2004
      My family followed a similar custom, but it was done on New Years day. My
      uncle Dallas Leytrick (Lejtrich) made the rounds to all the relatives homes,
      had some food and a drink then moved on. We always saw him rather early as
      he lived "across the yard". I can't imagine how he walked by the end of his
      journey, with all the shots he would have to consume. Our custom was even
      more specific though. It had to be a dark-haired man, or it was still bad
      luck. Uncle Dal's hair was almost black so he qualified just fine. As he
      grew older and unable to make the rounds, my (very WASP) husband took over.
      He really enjoyed some of our Slovak traditions! Now everyone is gone or
      scattered, but I still request that my son be the first to my door on New
      Years Day. Don't want to take any chances.
      Vickie Hospodar Valentine
      in very cold SW PA