Slovak Australians

  • Amanda Lovitt
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 22, 2003
      BTW, where in OZ do people of Slovak origin live? Are they scattered about
      or did they concentrate in certain areas when they arrived like they did in
      the U.S.?

      Hi Florian

      From what I have found, there are a lot of Slovaks, Czechs, Poles, Russians,
      etc in Western Australia and also in Victoria. There are some in every
      state, but those seemed to be the ones who accepted the greatest number of
      World War 2 refugees in the late 1940's and early 1950's.

      One site that lists names of those arriving on one of those ships the Anna
      Salen is http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/shipping/anasalen.htm I did
      the data entry for this site as my father Peter Haas was a passenger, his
      first wife and her daughter were also on the ship. This ship carried a
      large number of people, all of whom were destined to live in Melbourne
      Victoria, apart from a bureaucratic alteration that meant they all had to
      become residents of WA. Some continued on to Victoria to join other
      relatives from earlier refugee ships, the rest stayed and I then went to
      school with their children. When I came to Kalgoorlie, I found another
      large number of these people, including my current next door neighbour who
      were on that ship. The gold mining expansion of the 1950s meant jobs for
      them here. The National Archives site www.naa.gov.au has a search function
      for names or places.

      It does seem that many found work near the places they arrived at and have
      stayed around those areas. I know from growing up in Fremantle that there
      was a majority of Italian/Slav people around the area. It was fun.

      Regards

      Amanda Lovitt
      Coordinator Anglican Parish Flower Shows
      Coordinator Goldfields Open Garden Scheme
      Member KCGM Community Reference Group
      Deputy Chair Museum of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Advisory Committee
      Secretary CWA Boulder Branch www.cwaofwa.asn.au
      Goldfields & Agricultural Representative on WA Water Corp Customer Advisory
      Council
      Boulder Primary School P&C Association President
    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 22, 2003
        ><http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/shipping/anasalen.htm>http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/shipping/anasalen.htm

        Amanda, thanks for this link, had a quick look and it might help with my
        wife's stuff she is looking for.

        Nick

      • Paul J. Wolsko
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 22, 2003
          In wonder if the Slovak Aussies use Vegemite?

          Paul

        • FlorianCJr@wmconnect.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 22, 2003
            Thanks for your reply, Amanda. It's interesting that I found a couple of
            cassette tapes on the Slovak Language in a Noosa Shire library, but there
            were no other indications that there might be any Aussies of Slovak origin
            living in the area. But of course there are a few -- my daughter and two
            granddaughters at the very least.... :-)

            Do ethnic Slovaks who are Australians manage to keep some of their culture or
            are they totally assimilated Aussies? All my Slovak grandparents were born
            in what was then called Upper Hungary. My mother and father, who were both
            born in the USA, could understand some Slovak with my mother speaking a good
            bit too as she only learned English when she began attending school at the
            age of five. The Slovak Language was lost with my generation, but now I am
            trying to learn some as well as learn more about my Slovak heritage. I have
            only recently learned that my paternal grandfather's native village was given
            to Poland in 1920 along with 20+ other Slovak villages in Spis and Orava and
            any blood relatives existing over there today are now of Polish nationality!

            Regards,

            Florian

          • Jan Lan
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 22, 2003
              At 12:22 PM 2/22/2003 -0500, you wrote:
              >trying to learn some as well as learn more about my Slovak heritage. I have
              >only recently learned that my paternal grandfather's native village was given
              >to Poland in 1920 along with 20+ other Slovak villages in Spis and Orava and
              >any blood relatives existing over there today are now of Polish nationality!
              >
              >Regards,
              >
              >Florian

              You think that's bad, all the Rusyn homeland was given to Poland, Ukraine
              and Slovakia. Now that's a bummer.

              Janko

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • Nick Holcz
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 23, 2003
                At 10:58 AM 22/02/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                >In wonder if the Slovak Aussies use Vegemite?
                >
                >Paul

                Not this one I think it is foul. Why would I want to eat axle grease that
                tastes like ?? ( my wife won't let me say the word).

                My granddaughters like it and they make sure that granpa gets a big kiss
                after they eat it. Aren't they sweet.

                Nick

              • Paul J. Wolsko
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 23, 2003
                  At least it's loaded with B Vitamins.

                  Paul

                  > My granddaughters like it and they make sure that granpa gets a big kiss
                  > after they eat it. Aren't they sweet.
                  >
                  > Nick
                • Amanda Lovitt
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 23, 2003
                    Hi Florian

                    My father was the first member of the family to come from Slovakia to
                    Australia, so I grew up with the accent, the humour, the attitude and food
                    that he bought with him. I didn't get to learn the language because he
                    married an Australian (my Mum) and her family have been in Western Australia
                    since 1842 and were from England. Her attitude was "you were born here, you
                    are Australian, you don't need to know about that stuff". Sadly she also
                    thought that Dad's wartime experiences (partisan, Jewish father, mother who
                    hid 2 Jewish women and became a Righteous Gentile, brother in Mauthausen,
                    sister died of typhoid) were all lies. They were so far removed from her
                    own wartime experiences in a small timber milling town in the south west
                    where rations of butter, tyres and fuel were the major concerns that she
                    couldn't accept his story as true.

                    As Dad had mainly European friends, there was a general culture from Poland,
                    Russia, Germany and Hungary that pervaded our house in my early years. That
                    all started to change when I came out with the nursery rhyme "Peter Piper
                    picked etc...." in Hungarian! No more languages until I started High school
                    and Italian was compulsory.

                    My Dad came to Kalgoorlie to live when he was 61 and for 7 years I pumped
                    him for information, experiences, language, etc and it was great. He died
                    in 1996 and I went to Slovakia in 1998 about 15 months later.

                    My kids are now 2nd generation Australian born Slovaks and made their first
                    trip to Bratislava at age 6, 8 and 10. They learned their manners in
                    Slovak - hello, how are you, please, thank you, good, yes, no, and good
                    morning/day/night. They also learned their numbers and how to say who they
                    were. The oldest found it all a bit foreign, but adored the family; the
                    second just became immersed in Slovak everything and still refers to himself
                    as the Slovak in the family, the youngest was a bit of a blend of the those
                    two. I talk to them in the limited Slovak I know and we work together on a
                    book to learn more Slovak.

                    I think there must be a Slovak chromosome that we inherit.

                    Amanda
                  • Amanda Lovitt
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 23, 2003
                      ><http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/shipping/anasalen.htm>http://members
                      .iinet.net.au/~perthdps/shipping/anasalen.htm

                      Amanda, thanks for this link, had a quick look and it might help with my
                      wife's stuff she is looking for.

                      Nick

                      The site is actually linked to the Perth Dead Persons Society - great name
                      isn't it? The main site is www.perthdps.com and they have so much
                      information put together by volunteers it's amazing.

                      Just as a matter of interest, when Florian asked if there were any "clumps"
                      of Slovaks in Australia, I thought the National Archives may have something
                      but the site was down and I couldn't check. Anyway, I just checked the site
                      which is www.naa.gov.au and then go through Record Search and log on as a
                      guest. Just putting Slovakia in the keyword field came up with 41 records
                      ranging from some individual records, bank reports, consul general reports,
                      passenger lists. It looks really interesting. You can also put in a family
                      name such as HAAS and get those records too.

                      Amanda
                    • Amanda Lovitt
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 23, 2003
                        >In wonder if the Slovak Aussies use Vegemite?
                        >
                        >Paul

                        I love vegemite but I think it's the half of me that is 6th generation
                        Aussie that likes it!

                        Dad thought it was like the tar you put on the cut of a tree to stop the sap
                        leaking out of it. Whenever I ate it I would get the "AAAManda". I
                        never got the first A put on my name, not unless he was having a go at me!
                      • Amanda Lovitt
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 23, 2003
                          Hi Florian

                          Another site that I just thought of where you can find Slovak names in
                          Australia is the World War 2 nominal roll. It contains the records of all
                          those who enlisted in the armed services in WW2 in Australia. There is a
                          search function where you can put in a place name outside Australia. By
                          putting in Slovakia, 67 records appeared including those of Czechoslovakia
                          with the city they were from. For all of these, it was their country of
                          birth.

                          It is www.ww2roll.gov.au . I tried a few other countries, 49 records for
                          Hungary and 224 for Russia. You can enter names as well.

                          Amanda
                        • Nick Holcz
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 24, 2003
                            >Just as a matter of interest, when Florian asked if there were any "clumps"
                            >of Slovaks in Australia,
                            >Amanda
                            >
                            >My response to that question is I don't know. I think that Australians
                            >would not ask each other about where they came from.
                            > I know that suburbs in Melbourne were mostly inhabited by different
                            > ethnic groups initially but now that has changed as further generations
                            > come along.

                            Nick

                          • FlorianCJr@wmconnect.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 25, 2003
                              Thanks, Amanda. I'll have a look at that web site. I sort of doubt there
                              are may be those related to me there, but wouldn't it be fun if I found a
                              name to research! :-)

                              I noticed talk of Vegemite in another message. I'm not sure if I recall
                              correctly, but I believe I could only find Marmite in the Noosa, Qld
                              supermarkets. Am I mixing the two?

                              Regards,

                              Florian

                            • FlorianCJr@wmconnect.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 25, 2003
                                Amanda;

                                Fascinating thumbnail sketch. It's wonderful that people can assimilate into
                                a new country yet maintain some of the old culture.

                                Regards,

                                Florian

                                In a message dated 2/24/03 3:59:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, cread@...
                                writes:

                                > Hi Florian
                                >
                                > My father was the first member of the family to come from Slovakia to
                                > Australia, so I grew up with the accent, the humour, the attitude and food
                                > that he bought with him. I didn't get to learn the language because he
                                > married an Australian (my Mum) and her family have been in Western Australia
                                > since 1842 and were from England. Her attitude was "you were born here, you
                                > are Australian, you don't need to know about that stuff". Sadly she also
                                > thought that Dad's wartime experiences (partisan, Jewish father, mother who
                                > hid 2 Jewish women and became a Righteous Gentile, brother in Mauthausen,
                                > sister died of typhoid) were all lies. They were so far removed from her
                                > own wartime experiences in a small timber milling town in the south west
                                > where rations of butter, tyres and fuel were the major concerns that she
                                > couldn't accept his story as true.
                                >
                                > As Dad had mainly European friends, there was a general culture from Poland,
                                > Russia, Germany and Hungary that pervaded our house in my early years. That
                                > all started to change when I came out with the nursery rhyme "Peter Piper
                                > picked etc...." in Hungarian! No more languages until I started High school
                                > and Italian was compulsory.
                                >
                                > My Dad came to Kalgoorlie to live when he was 61 and for 7 years I pumped
                                > him for information, experiences, language, etc and it was great. He died
                                > in 1996 and I went to Slovakia in 1998 about 15 months later.
                                >
                                > My kids are now 2nd generation Australian born Slovaks and made their first
                                > trip to Bratislava at age 6, 8 and 10. They learned their manners in
                                > Slovak - hello, how are you, please, thank you, good, yes, no, and good
                                > morning/day/night. They also learned their numbers and how to say who they
                                > were. The oldest found it all a bit foreign, but adored the family; the
                                > second just became immersed in Slovak everything and still refers to himself
                                > as the Slovak in the family, the youngest was a bit of a blend of the those
                                > two. I talk to them in the limited Slovak I know and we work together on a
                                > book to learn more Slovak.
                                >
                                > I think there must be a Slovak chromosome that we inherit.
                                >

                                > Amanda

                              • Amanda Lovitt
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 25, 2003
                                  Thanks, Amanda. I'll have a look at that web site. I sort of doubt there
                                  are may be those related to me there, but wouldn't it be fun if I found a
                                  name to research! :-)

                                  I noticed talk of Vegemite in another message. I'm not sure if I recall
                                  correctly, but I believe I could only find Marmite in the Noosa, Qld
                                  supermarkets. Am I mixing the two?

                                  Hi Florian

                                  You may be surprised by the names that do appear on the Australian lists.

                                  Vegemite is definitely not Marmite - it's like confusing axle grease and
                                  tar. Both black and sticky but slightly different applications.

                                  Amanda
                                • FlorianCJr@wmconnect.com
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 26, 2003
                                    Amanda;

                                    I had a quick look at the Australian W.W.II lists and didn't see any surnames
                                    I am researching (looking into is more appropriate as I'm not seriously into
                                    *researching* yet). It was interesting to sort names by country of origin.
                                    Quite a few from the USA and the United States popped up.

                                    Oh, BTW? Where, or how, would be Vegemite applied versus Marmite??? :-)

                                    Best,

                                    Florian

                                    In a message dated 2/26/03 1:40:36 AM Eastern Standard Time, cread@...
                                    writes:

                                    > Hi Florian
                                    >
                                    > You may be surprised by the names that do appear on the Australian lists.
                                    >
                                    > Vegemite is definitely not Marmite - it's like confusing axle grease and
                                    > tar. Both black and sticky but slightly different applications.
                                    >

                                    > Amanda

                                  • Amanda Lovitt
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 27, 2003
                                      Oh, BTW? Where, or how, would be Vegemite applied versus Marmite??? :-)

                                      Vegemite is put on bread for sandwiches or toast and I put a large spoonful
                                      into beef casseroles, meatballs, meatloaves etc - great flavour. I can't
                                      bring myself to do what Grandma (4th generation Aussie) did which is to put
                                      a spoonful into boiling water and drink it.

                                      Amanda
                                    • FlorianCJr@wmconnect.com
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 27, 2003
                                        Amanda;

                                        How is Marmite used?

                                        Regards,

                                        Florian

                                        In a message dated 2/27/03 4:26:59 AM Eastern Standard Time, cread@...
                                        writes:

                                        > Oh, BTW? Where, or how, would be Vegemite applied versus Marmite??? :-)
                                        >

                                        > Vegemite is put on bread for sandwiches or toast and I put a large spoonful
                                        > into beef casseroles, meatballs, meatloaves etc - great flavour. I can't
                                        > bring myself to do what Grandma (4th generation Aussie) did which is to put
                                        > a spoonful into boiling water and drink it.
                                        >

                                        > Amanda

                                      • Nick Holcz
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 27, 2003
                                          What a disgusting thought!!! YUK

                                          At 05:23 PM 27/02/2003 +0800, you wrote:

                                          >Oh, BTW? Where, or how, would be Vegemite applied versus Marmite??? :-)
                                          >

                                          >Vegemite is put on bread for sandwiches or toast and I put a large spoonful
                                          >into beef casseroles, meatballs, meatloaves etc - great flavour. I can't
                                          >bring myself to do what Grandma (4th generation Aussie) did which is to put
                                          >a spoonful into boiling water and drink it.
                                          >

                                          >Amanda
                                          >

                                          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                        • Jan Lan
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 27, 2003
                                            At 04:36 AM 2/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:

                                            >Amanda;
                                            >
                                            >How is Marmite used?
                                            >
                                            >Regards,
                                            >
                                            >Florian

                                            I think they're little parasitic arachnids, which are used to irritate
                                            marmots. ;-)

                                            Janko

                                            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                          • Amanda Lovitt
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 27, 2003
                                              How is Marmite used?

                                              Basically the same way, but it's like cars in Australia. Either you're a
                                              Ford or a Holden driver; well, you're either a Marmite or a Vegemite eater.

                                              Then there's football teams, well.....!

                                              Amanda
                                            • Amanda Lovitt
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 27, 2003
                                                What a disgusting thought!!! YUK

                                                Hey Nick, she was of English origin remember. That says a lot. I know that
                                                because I'm married toone and my dear old Slovak Dad said "Oh Amanda, of all
                                                the men in Kalgoorlie, why a Johnny Bull?"

                                                He got to love him later.

                                                Amanda
                                              • FlorianCJr@wmconnect.com
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 28, 2003
                                                  Thanks, Amanda. That's the impression that I had. I've never tried either.

                                                  Regards,

                                                  Florian

                                                  In a message dated 2/27/03 10:52:06 PM Eastern Standard Time, cread@...
                                                  writes:

                                                  > How is Marmite used?
                                                  >

                                                  > Basically the same way, but it's like cars in Australia. Either you're a
                                                  > Ford or a Holden driver; well, you're either a Marmite or a Vegemite eater.
                                                  >

                                                  > Then there's football teams, well.....!
                                                  >

                                                  > Amanda

                                                • Nick Holcz
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Feb 28, 2003
                                                    At 12:06 PM 28/02/2003 +0800, you wrote:

                                                    >What a disgusting thought!!! YUK
                                                    >
                                                    >Hey Nick, she was of English origin remember. That says a lot. I know that
                                                    >because I'm married toone and my dear old Slovak Dad said "Oh Amanda, of all
                                                    >the men in Kalgoorlie, why a Johnny Bull?"

                                                    Amanda, I was not being rude about your grandmother, just the taste of
                                                    Vegemite and Marmite if it comes down to it. See even spell check doesn't
                                                    like them.

                                                    I think the poms have got their own version but can't remember what it is.

                                                    Nick

                                                  • Amanda Lovitt
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 1, 2003
                                                      Hi Nick

                                                      Poms have Promite. There are so many revolting versions of the substance
                                                      such as Promite, Marmite, Vegemite, even Bonox isn't much better. Toast and
                                                      vegemite is acceptable, especially with scrambled eggs and halusky; but the
                                                      adventure stops there I think.

                                                      I might put a dollop in the roasting dish though, it's our 17th wedding
                                                      anniversary today.

                                                      Amanda
                                                    • Jan Lan
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 1, 2003
                                                        At 02:15 PM 3/2/2003 +0800, you wrote:

                                                        >I might put a dollop in the roasting dish though, it's our 17th wedding
                                                        >anniversary today.
                                                        >
                                                        >Amanda

                                                        Congratulations and many more to come! Only 35 more and you'll be up with
                                                        us. Of course by then we'll be 105 and 106 and celebrating our 87th. ;-)

                                                        Janko

                                                        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                                      • Amanda Lovitt
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Mar 1, 2003
                                                          Hopefully we'll get a lot more to come, I'm 37 and Mike is almost 42. I
                                                          was only 20 when I got married. When my parents were 37, they were
                                                          celebrating their 4th anniversary and their first newborn child when they
                                                          were almost 38. Me? 3 sons aged 7, 10 and 11 with 17 years under my belt.
                                                          Lots more fun.