Yesterday's proverb

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2004
      I'm getting so forgetful (or busy)!

      Huba, ryba, dyn~a, svin~a protrebuje holbu vina

      Fish must swim thrice. [author]

      Mushrooms, fish, watermelon, and pork require a tankard (!) of wine.

      Does someone want to take a stab at why the author translated it like
      he did? Or maybe even an explanation of the original?

      Helen
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2004
        > why the author translated it like he did? Or maybe even
        > an explanation of the original?

        A version better known today speaks of a glass of wine:

        "Huba, ryba, dyn~a, svin~a protrebuje poha'r vi'na."

        The saying entices you to drink by giving you an eclectic list of
        foods that apparently need to be washed down with a glass of wine.
        It being a saying, they all 'happen' to rhyme.

        The English equivalent you quote, Helen, speaks of fish and wine:
        "Fish should swim thrice -- once in the water, a second time in the
        sauce/butter, and a third time in wine (in the stomach)."

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
          Fall and winter issues of the Slovak Heritage Live newsletter are at the
          printer now and they will be mailed out next week.

          For a free sample issues of the newsletter please send me your postal address.

          Many thanks Vladi
          vlinder49@...

          http://slovakheritage.org/SHLnewsletter/20043fall.htm

          http://slovakheritage.org/SHLnewsletter/20044winter.htm

          Vladimir Linder
          Slovak Heritage Live quarterly Newsletter
          3804 Yale Street, Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
          Phone/Fax:: (604) 291-8065, Cell: (604) 889-4616
          Email: vlinder49@...
          FREE sample issue upon request. ONE TIME OFFER GOOD ONLY IN NORTH AMERICA
          Slovak-English and English-Slovak Translations US$35.00 per page

          You may check out our home pages at:

          www.slovakheritage.org
          www.lindervideo.com
          www.liptovskateplicka.com

          To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
          My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-907-279-508

          Advertising rates:

          Full page 9 3/4 x 7 1/4 US$600.00
          1/2 page 4 3/4 x 7 1/4 US$300.00
          1/4 page 3 3/4 x 4 3/4 US$150.00