RE: [Slovak-World] films

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
      At 03:25 PM 12/2/2004, you wrote:
> [...]
      > >
      > >The contact info for Susan Marcinkus is at the very bottom:
      > >
      > >What an exciting time to write you as Slovakia officially enters the
      > >European Union. From my personal viewpoint, it's been an incredible journey
      > >to experience Slovakia on so many levels -- first, as a part of my
      > >grandmother's past, her "Old Country", then it playing a precious part in my
      > >own life, and now as a "New Country", a young European democracy with all
      > >the hope and promise that standing has to offer.
      > >
      > >On this occasion we're proud to announce that we have completed and
      > >remastered the final half-hour version of our film "PICTURES FROM THE OLD
      > >COUNTRY". It has been acquired for worldwide distribution by the
      > >prestigious CINEMA GUILD, INC in New York City. You or your organization
      > >can now order the video for sale or rent from The Cinema Guild. It is
      > >available to general viewing audiences and also ideally suited for classroom
      > >instruction and curriculum enrichment. You will find it in their catalog
      > >under "World Cultures - Europe" as a new title.
      > >
      > >You can access the Cinema Guild CATALOG ONLINE
      > >at www.cinemaguild.com
      > >
      > >Or request a catalog be mailed to you
      > >By PHONING
      > >1 (800) 723-5522
      > >or (212) 685-6242
      > >
      > >Or By MAIL
      > >The Cinema Guild, Inc.
      > >130 Madison Avenue
      > >Second Floor
      > >New York, NY 10016-7038
      > >
      > >E-MAIL Inquiries
      > >can be sent to
      > >info@...
      > >
      > >For those of you unfamiliar with "PICTURES...." - the documentary chronicles
      > >the filmmaker's quest to uncover the mysteries of her Slovak identity, after
      > >it had been lost behind the Iron Curtain. As a young girl growing up during
      > >the Cold War, she is curious about the "strange" language her grandmother is
      > >speaking and the enigma that shrouds her past. Fantasizing that Grandma
      > >must be a communist spy, she begins to ask questions that are never fully
      > >answered. Years later, still haunted by her family's secrecy, the filmmaker
      > >embarks on a journey that crosses continents and generations - to learn
      > >about Slovakia, why her grandmother came to America, and who she left
      > >behind. Gradually the filmmaker fits together the pieces of the puzzle, and
      > >the telling of Grandma's story inspires her to connect with her family and
      > >cultural heritage - and ultimately, to discover her own Slovak soul.
      > >
      > >You can also watch for "PICTURES" this fall on select PBS Stations!!
      > >
      > >Please help us get the word out to your networks!! Forward this message to
      > >organizations or schools that may be interested in the film, or call or
      > >e-mail us if you know about a newsletter that includes groups that may be
      > >interested.
      > >
      > >Thanks so much EVERYONE for all you've contributed to the making and showing
      > >of our film - we couldn't have done it without you!!!

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 9, 2004
        > culturally-oriented films that we might add to
        > our multicultural film series

        I'd suggest these, Lil -- they're all available with English subtitles.
        However, except for a couple, you might need to get them from Slovakia and
        convert them to NTSC. To get more ideas, you can go to our library for a
        list of the available Slovak feature films with subtitles (and some without
        them) at:

        http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/video/slovak.html

        and shorts at:

        http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/video/czechslovak.html

        Unless it says "no subtitles," all are subtitled in English.

        Rosy Dreams
        - the Slovaks and the Roma/gypsies (poetic and realistic)
        She Grazed Horses on Concrete
        - a single mother fends for herself in a small village (realism, humor)
        1000-year Old Bee
        - a 3-generation panorama of village life around 1900 (mythologized)
        The Shop on Main Street
        - simple people trapped by the circumstances of WW II (moral dilemmas)
        The Garden
        - a village setting as a remedy for urban travails (mythologized)

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • Lil Junas
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 9, 2004
          Thanks, Martin.
          lil

          >> culturally-oriented films that we might add to
          >> our multicultural film series
          >
          >I'd suggest these, Lil -- they're all available with English subtitles.
          >However, except for a couple, you might need to get them from Slovakia and
          >convert them to NTSC. To get more ideas, you can go to our library for a
          >list of the available Slovak feature films with subtitles (and some without
          >them) at:
          >
          >http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/video/slovak.html
          >
          >and shorts at:
          >
          >http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/video/czechslovak.html
          >
          >Unless it says "no subtitles," all are subtitled in English.
          >

          >Rosy Dreams
          > - the Slovaks and the Roma/gypsies (poetic and realistic)
          >She Grazed Horses on Concrete
          > - a single mother fends for herself in a small village (realism, humor)
          >1000-year Old Bee
          > - a 3-generation panorama of village life around 1900 (mythologized)
          >The Shop on Main Street
          > - simple people trapped by the circumstances of WW II (moral dilemmas)
          >The Garden
          > - a village setting as a remedy for urban travails (mythologized)
          >

          >Martin
          >
          >votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
          For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
          http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
          "To be nobody but myself."
        • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 9, 2004
            I meant to mention before the film "Shadows of Our Forgotten
            Ancestors" by Paradjanov, 1964. It's a hard film to follow (well, it
            was for me!), but it's set in a traditional Hutsul village and has
            beautiful scenery and a lot of folk customs and culture throughout it.
            It's been years since I've seen it, but it grabbed me from the start,
            with the great 20-foot long wooden trumpets of the Carpathians
            blasting through the pine woods as people hurried along in snow up to
            to their knees! It's in Ukrainian, available with English subtitles.

            OK, it's not actually set IN Slovakia, but it's right next door!

            Joe
          • WHew536674@cs.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 9, 2004
              In a message dated 12/9/2004 3:46:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              JArmata@... writes:
              > "Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors" by Paradjanov, 1964.
              >
              > Joe,
              > Where can one to get the film? Is it available at a video rental place or
              > is it at Pitt?
              > Joyce

            • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 10, 2004
                http://www.amazon.com has it for $29.95, and with free shipping. It
                might be hard to find it at a rental place though.

                Joe