films

  • Lil Junas
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
      Anyone know of good culturally-oriented films that we might add to
      our multicultural film series here at Wartburg College. The
      committee's description is that the films should highlight
      international and domestic films that offer the opportunity to
      experience narratives and styles beyond our domestic mainstream
      industry.

      Thanks in advance.
      Lil

      LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
      For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
      http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
      "To be nobody but myself."
    • Gregory J Kopchak
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
        Lil:

        The contact info for Susan Marcinkus is at the very bottom:

        What an exciting time to write you as Slovakia officially enters the
        European Union. From my personal viewpoint, it's been an incredible journey
        to experience Slovakia on so many levels -- first, as a part of my
        grandmother's past, her "Old Country", then it playing a precious part in my
        own life, and now as a "New Country", a young European democracy with all
        the hope and promise that standing has to offer.

        On this occasion we're proud to announce that we have completed and
        remastered the final half-hour version of our film "PICTURES FROM THE OLD
        COUNTRY". It has been acquired for worldwide distribution by the
        prestigious CINEMA GUILD, INC in New York City. You or your organization
        can now order the video for sale or rent from The Cinema Guild. It is
        available to general viewing audiences and also ideally suited for classroom
        instruction and curriculum enrichment. You will find it in their catalog
        under "World Cultures - Europe" as a new title.

        You can access the Cinema Guild CATALOG ONLINE
        at www.cinemaguild.com

        Or request a catalog be mailed to you
        By PHONING
        1 (800) 723-5522
        or (212) 685-6242

        Or By MAIL
        The Cinema Guild, Inc.
        130 Madison Avenue
        Second Floor
        New York, NY 10016-7038

        E-MAIL Inquiries
        can be sent to
        info@...

        For those of you unfamiliar with "PICTURES...." - the documentary chronicles
        the filmmaker's quest to uncover the mysteries of her Slovak identity, after
        it had been lost behind the Iron Curtain. As a young girl growing up during
        the Cold War, she is curious about the "strange" language her grandmother is
        speaking and the enigma that shrouds her past. Fantasizing that Grandma
        must be a communist spy, she begins to ask questions that are never fully
        answered. Years later, still haunted by her family's secrecy, the filmmaker
        embarks on a journey that crosses continents and generations - to learn
        about Slovakia, why her grandmother came to America, and who she left
        behind. Gradually the filmmaker fits together the pieces of the puzzle, and
        the telling of Grandma's story inspires her to connect with her family and
        cultural heritage - and ultimately, to discover her own Slovak soul.

        You can also watch for "PICTURES" this fall on select PBS Stations!!

        Please help us get the word out to your networks!! Forward this message to
        organizations or schools that may be interested in the film, or call or
        e-mail us if you know about a newsletter that includes groups that may be
        interested.

        Thanks so much EVERYONE for all you've contributed to the making and showing
        of our film - we couldn't have done it without you!!!

        S pozdravom a dovidenia,

        Susan Marcinkus & Laurence Jacobs
        Co-producers
        Manifest Films
        1626 Angelus Ave
        L. A. CA 90026
        ph: 213.413.4570
        Anyone know of good culturally-oriented films that we might add to
        our multicultural film series here at Wartburg College. The
        committee's description is that the films should highlight
        international and domestic films that offer the opportunity to
        experience narratives and styles beyond our domestic mainstream
        industry.

        Thanks in advance.
        Lil

        LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
        For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
        http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
        "To be nobody but myself."

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
          Forgot to mentioned that it is :

          Directed by Susan Marcinkus
          2003, color, 27 mins., VHS
          Purchase: $195 Rental: $55

          For 87 color a20 minutes each,videos on Slovakia at bargain price of
          US$44.45 go to:

          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/folklore_videos.htm

          <

        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
            At 03:25 PM 12/2/2004, you wrote:
> [...]
            > >embarks on a journey that crosses continents and generations - to learn
            > >about Slovakia, why her grandmother came to America, and who she left
            > >behind. Gradually the filmmaker fits together the pieces of the puzzle, and
            > >the telling of Grandma's story inspires her to connect with her family and
            > >cultural heritage - and ultimately, to discover her own Slovak soul.
            > >
            > >You can also watch for "PICTURES" this fall on select PBS Stations!!
            > >
            > >Please help us get the word out to your networks!! Forward this message to
            > >organizations or schools that may be interested in the film, or call or
            > >e-mail us if you know about a newsletter that includes groups that may be
            > >interested.
            > >
            > >Thanks so much EVERYONE for all you've contributed to the making and showing
            > >of our film - we couldn't have done it without you!!!

          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 9, 2004
              > culturally-oriented films that we might add to
              > our multicultural film series

              I'd suggest these, Lil -- they're all available with English subtitles.
              However, except for a couple, you might need to get them from Slovakia and
              convert them to NTSC. To get more ideas, you can go to our library for a
              list of the available Slovak feature films with subtitles (and some without
              them) at:

              http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/video/slovak.html

              and shorts at:

              http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/video/czechslovak.html

              Unless it says "no subtitles," all are subtitled in English.

              Rosy Dreams
              - the Slovaks and the Roma/gypsies (poetic and realistic)
              She Grazed Horses on Concrete
              - a single mother fends for herself in a small village (realism, humor)
              1000-year Old Bee
              - a 3-generation panorama of village life around 1900 (mythologized)
              The Shop on Main Street
              - simple people trapped by the circumstances of WW II (moral dilemmas)
              The Garden
              - a village setting as a remedy for urban travails (mythologized)

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • Lil Junas
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 9, 2004
                Thanks, Martin.
                lil

                >> culturally-oriented films that we might add to
                >> our multicultural film series
                >
                >I'd suggest these, Lil -- they're all available with English subtitles.
                >However, except for a couple, you might need to get them from Slovakia and
                >convert them to NTSC. To get more ideas, you can go to our library for a
                >list of the available Slovak feature films with subtitles (and some without
                >them) at:
                >
                >http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/video/slovak.html
                >
                >and shorts at:
                >
                >http://www.pitt.edu/~slavic/video/czechslovak.html
                >
                >Unless it says "no subtitles," all are subtitled in English.
                >

                >Rosy Dreams
                > - the Slovaks and the Roma/gypsies (poetic and realistic)
                >She Grazed Horses on Concrete
                > - a single mother fends for herself in a small village (realism, humor)
                >1000-year Old Bee
                > - a 3-generation panorama of village life around 1900 (mythologized)
                >The Shop on Main Street
                > - simple people trapped by the circumstances of WW II (moral dilemmas)
                >The Garden
                > - a village setting as a remedy for urban travails (mythologized)
                >

                >Martin
                >
                >votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
                For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
                http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
                "To be nobody but myself."
              • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 9, 2004
                  I meant to mention before the film "Shadows of Our Forgotten
                  Ancestors" by Paradjanov, 1964. It's a hard film to follow (well, it
                  was for me!), but it's set in a traditional Hutsul village and has
                  beautiful scenery and a lot of folk customs and culture throughout it.
                  It's been years since I've seen it, but it grabbed me from the start,
                  with the great 20-foot long wooden trumpets of the Carpathians
                  blasting through the pine woods as people hurried along in snow up to
                  to their knees! It's in Ukrainian, available with English subtitles.

                  OK, it's not actually set IN Slovakia, but it's right next door!

                  Joe
                • WHew536674@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 9, 2004
                    In a message dated 12/9/2004 3:46:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    JArmata@... writes:
                    > "Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors" by Paradjanov, 1964.
                    >
                    > Joe,
                    > Where can one to get the film? Is it available at a video rental place or
                    > is it at Pitt?
                    > Joyce

                  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 10, 2004
                      http://www.amazon.com has it for $29.95, and with free shipping. It
                      might be hard to find it at a rental place though.

                      Joe