Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak talks in Boston, 12/4-7

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
      At 07:28 PM 11/25/2004 -0500, you wrote:

      >An upcoming national Slavic conference in Boston, Dec. 4-7, will
      >include lectures on Slovak topics. Below is a selection from them.

      Hi Martin,

      I had found and looked at the conference information on a website several
      weeks ago; it seemed pretty pricey for those of us who would be interested
      in just a lecture or two. Do you know if it's possible to attend just a
      couple of lectures without paying the full conference price (which, as I
      recall, was $90+)?

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
        > Do you know if it's possible to attend just
        > a couple of lectures without paying

        I don't know what it is theoretically, but there are no checks of any
        sort at these conferences. Hundreds of people just mill around. You
        have to pay in advance if you're giving a paper; otherwise, what you
        get for the privilege of paying is a flimsy name-tag (there's no
        obligation to wear it).

        There must be many especially local people at each of these
        conferences who just come for the talks. As for me, I'll be happy to
        see as many people as want to come at any of the panels, and
        everyone's welcome to join the discussion. The Slovak panels are
        usually small. Moreover, two Slovak panels have been scheduled at
        the same time this year, which is really annoying considering that
        there are just a handful altogether.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu