Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Tuesday's proverb

  • Nick Holcz
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2004
      At 02:17 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:

      >The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?
      >
      >See you later,
      >Haidee
      >PicasGurl@...

      I looked in my dictionary of words and phrases and found the proverb origin
      it is from a book by W. Cambden 1636 Remains concerning England ( ed 5) "
      the early bird catcheth the worme

      Nick
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 25, 2005
        "Kto chce s vlkmi z~it', musi s vlkmi vyt'"

        One must howl with the wolves [author]

        If you want to live with the wolves, you must howl with the wolves

        It's funny that all the other languages with this proverb use "wolves,"
        but the Polish version literally translates to "When you are among
        crows, you must walk like one".

        Helen
      • Michelle A Mader
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 25, 2005
          >"Kto chce s vlkmi z~it', musi s vlkmi vyt'"
          >
          >One must howl with the wolves [author]
          >
          >If you want to live with the wolves, you must howl with the wolves
          >

          >It's funny that all the other languages with this proverb use "wolves,"
          >but the Polish version literally translates to "When you are among
          >crows, you must walk like one".

          When in Rome ...?

          Michelle Maco Mader
          Cleveland, Ohio USA
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
            "Kto nema v hlave, ma v pa:tach"

            A forgetful head makes a weary pair of heels [author]

            He who doesn't have it in his head, has it in his heels

            Helen
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
              "Mlady mo^z~e, stary musi (umreiet')"

              A young man may die, but old man must die.

              Helen
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 8, 2005
                "Mylit' sa je l'udske, zotrvavat' v omyle diabolske"

                To err is human, to forgive divine [author]

                To make a mistake is human, to persist in a mistake is fiendish.

                Helen
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 26, 2005
                  Sorry, I almost forgot.

                  "Nudza je matkou mudrosti"