Re: [Slovak-World] Jaj! Almost forgot

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
      > why isn't it: Host' a ryba na treti den~ smrdia?
      > The "a" would indicate a plural (compound) subject, no?

      You're right Helen. It happens to be this way just in this saying.
      You can use the plural here, too, but this saying usually appears
      with the singular. Sayings can do weird things (this one, perhaps,
      because of a specific confusion as it was being adopted to Slovak:
      it's not native, it's one of the "multinational" sayings). The verb
      normally has to be in the plural with such subjects no matter what,
      just like you say.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Michelle A Mader
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
        >My high school alumni assoc. has published a book about the
        history of the West Park area in Cleveland, titled 'From Rockport to
        Westpark'. It starts with the geologic past and goes through to
        the present. There are 326 pages and over 340 pictures, many
        never published before.

        Besides the area itself, there's coverage of other things pertinent to
        the times such as disasters in the greater Cleveland area and some
        amusement parks such as Luna Park and Puritas Springs.

        Anyway, I know of number on the list are from Cleveland and thought
        you might be interested. You can get info. and an order blank (or
        order on-line) at jmhalumni.com .

        Michelle Maco Mader
        Cleveland, Ohio USA