Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak "Koogle"

  • kmz
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
      Noreen, It's better if you grate the potatoes

      5 Med to large potatoes
      l large onion
      2 egg
      salt & Pepper
      not more than a half cup of grease sounds bad but tates good
      grate potatoes and onion (yes grate that onion)
      spill off as much water as you can from the batter
      about a 1/4 cup flower maybe a little more, you have to judge
      My mother always put in a little canned cream or creamora. You can also
      scald whole milk not very much less than a 1/2 cup. makes a richer batter.

      Hold the grease until you get the potatoe batter in your baking pan then take the
      hot grease and drizzle through the batter. God, I can smell it while I am typing this.
      Oven to start 400 can turn it down later but you want that crispy brown crust.

      Katherine

      By sour cream

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
        > Substitute American or Cheddar cheese for the prunes and you're
        > cooking with gas!
        > =========================
        > then take the
        hot grease and drizzle through the batter.  God, I can smell it while I am
        typing this.

        Hi Katherine and Marko,
        thanks for the info on PAGAC and for the totally much better-sounding recipe
        for Koogle. i will try them both. on the Koogle, can butter be substituted
        for lard when you drizzle it over the potato batter? i cannot wait to try them
        both.
        the prunes are history.
        thanks again
        Noreen

      • kmz
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2004
          Hi Noreen,
          Not lard, bacon greese for flavor. You can use butter but it won't have the same taste.
          Katherine

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 13, 2004
            In a message dated 12/12/04 9:15:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            meadow10@... writes:

            > Not lard, bacon greese for flavor. You can use butter but it won't have
            > the same taste.

            Thanks, Katherine.