Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Tuesday's proverb

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
      I assume so. I was looking for a better literal translation of the
      Slovak.

      Helen

      >>> PicasGurl@... 12/1/2004 1:17:55 PM >>>
      The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?

      See you later,
      Haidee
      PicasGurl@...

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:
    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
        At 02:17 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:

        >The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?
        >
        >See you later,
        >Haidee
        >PicasGurl@...

        Don't think it is exclusive to America it is British as well but I can't
        find the origin

        Nick
      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2004
          At 02:17 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:

          >The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?
          >
          >See you later,
          >Haidee
          >PicasGurl@...

          I looked in my dictionary of words and phrases and found the proverb origin
          it is from a book by W. Cambden 1636 Remains concerning England ( ed 5) "
          the early bird catcheth the worme

          Nick
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 25, 2005
            "Kto chce s vlkmi z~it', musi s vlkmi vyt'"

            One must howl with the wolves [author]

            If you want to live with the wolves, you must howl with the wolves

            It's funny that all the other languages with this proverb use "wolves,"
            but the Polish version literally translates to "When you are among
            crows, you must walk like one".

            Helen
          • Michelle A Mader
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 25, 2005
              >"Kto chce s vlkmi z~it', musi s vlkmi vyt'"
              >
              >One must howl with the wolves [author]
              >
              >If you want to live with the wolves, you must howl with the wolves
              >

              >It's funny that all the other languages with this proverb use "wolves,"
              >but the Polish version literally translates to "When you are among
              >crows, you must walk like one".

              When in Rome ...?

              Michelle Maco Mader
              Cleveland, Ohio USA
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
                "Kto nema v hlave, ma v pa:tach"

                A forgetful head makes a weary pair of heels [author]

                He who doesn't have it in his head, has it in his heels

                Helen
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                  "Mlady mo^z~e, stary musi (umreiet')"

                  A young man may die, but old man must die.

                  Helen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 8, 2005
                    "Mylit' sa je l'udske, zotrvavat' v omyle diabolske"

                    To err is human, to forgive divine [author]

                    To make a mistake is human, to persist in a mistake is fiendish.

                    Helen
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 26, 2005
                      Sorry, I almost forgot.

                      "Nudza je matkou mudrosti"