Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Tuesday's proverb

  • PicasGurl@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
      The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?

      See you later,
      Haidee
      PicasGurl@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
        I assume so. I was looking for a better literal translation of the
        Slovak.

        Helen

        >>> PicasGurl@... 12/1/2004 1:17:55 PM >>>
        The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?

        See you later,
        Haidee
        PicasGurl@...

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:
      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
          At 02:17 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:

          >The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?
          >
          >See you later,
          >Haidee
          >PicasGurl@...

          Don't think it is exclusive to America it is British as well but I can't
          find the origin

          Nick
        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2004
            At 02:17 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:

            >The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?
            >
            >See you later,
            >Haidee
            >PicasGurl@...

            I looked in my dictionary of words and phrases and found the proverb origin
            it is from a book by W. Cambden 1636 Remains concerning England ( ed 5) "
            the early bird catcheth the worme

            Nick
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 25, 2005
              "Kto chce s vlkmi z~it', musi s vlkmi vyt'"

              One must howl with the wolves [author]

              If you want to live with the wolves, you must howl with the wolves

              It's funny that all the other languages with this proverb use "wolves,"
              but the Polish version literally translates to "When you are among
              crows, you must walk like one".

              Helen
            • Michelle A Mader
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 25, 2005
                >"Kto chce s vlkmi z~it', musi s vlkmi vyt'"
                >
                >One must howl with the wolves [author]
                >
                >If you want to live with the wolves, you must howl with the wolves
                >

                >It's funny that all the other languages with this proverb use "wolves,"
                >but the Polish version literally translates to "When you are among
                >crows, you must walk like one".

                When in Rome ...?

                Michelle Maco Mader
                Cleveland, Ohio USA
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
                  "Kto nema v hlave, ma v pa:tach"

                  A forgetful head makes a weary pair of heels [author]

                  He who doesn't have it in his head, has it in his heels

                  Helen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                    "Mlady mo^z~e, stary musi (umreiet')"

                    A young man may die, but old man must die.

                    Helen
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 8, 2005
                      "Mylit' sa je l'udske, zotrvavat' v omyle diabolske"

                      To err is human, to forgive divine [author]

                      To make a mistake is human, to persist in a mistake is fiendish.

                      Helen
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 26, 2005
                        Sorry, I almost forgot.

                        "Nudza je matkou mudrosti"