Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Tuesday's proverb

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
      Morning hour is catching up with the gold

      Vladi

      At 12:03 AM 12/1/2004, you wrote:

      >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
      > > Hodina ranna zlato dohan~a
      > >
      > > The early bird catches the worm. [author]
      > >
      > > The early hour catches the gold????????
      > >

      > > Helen
      >
      >Maybe:
      >
      >Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
      >
      >RU
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ca5cbt/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705103562:HM/EXP=1101974692/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>
      >2c78eaa.jpg
      >
      >2c78ef5.jpg

      > *
      >
      > *

      Vladimir Linder
      Slovak Heritage Live quarterly Newsletter
      3804 Yale Street, Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
      Phone/Fax:: (604) 291-8065, Cell: (604) 889-4616
      Email: vlinder49@...
      FREE sample issue upon request. ONE TIME OFFER GOOD ONLY IN NORTH AMERICA
      Slovak-English and English-Slovak Translations US$35.00 per page

      You may check out our home pages at:

      www.slovakheritage.org
      www.lindervideo.com
      www.liptovskateplicka.com

      To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
      My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-907-279-508

      Advertising rates:

      Full page 9 3/4 x 7 1/4 US$600.00
      1/2 page 4 3/4 x 7 1/4 US$300.00
      1/4 page 3 3/4 x 4 3/4 US$150.00
      1/8 page 2 3/8 x 4 US$ 75.00
      1/12 page 2 3/8 x 2.5 US$ 50.00

    • PicasGurl@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
        The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?

        See you later,
        Haidee
        PicasGurl@...
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
          I assume so. I was looking for a better literal translation of the
          Slovak.

          Helen

          >>> PicasGurl@... 12/1/2004 1:17:55 PM >>>
          The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?

          See you later,
          Haidee
          PicasGurl@...

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          To visit your group on the web, go to:
        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
            At 02:17 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:

            >The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?
            >
            >See you later,
            >Haidee
            >PicasGurl@...

            Don't think it is exclusive to America it is British as well but I can't
            find the origin

            Nick
          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2004
              At 02:17 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:

              >The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?
              >
              >See you later,
              >Haidee
              >PicasGurl@...

              I looked in my dictionary of words and phrases and found the proverb origin
              it is from a book by W. Cambden 1636 Remains concerning England ( ed 5) "
              the early bird catcheth the worme

              Nick
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 25, 2005
                "Kto chce s vlkmi z~it', musi s vlkmi vyt'"

                One must howl with the wolves [author]

                If you want to live with the wolves, you must howl with the wolves

                It's funny that all the other languages with this proverb use "wolves,"
                but the Polish version literally translates to "When you are among
                crows, you must walk like one".

                Helen
              • Michelle A Mader
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 25, 2005
                  >"Kto chce s vlkmi z~it', musi s vlkmi vyt'"
                  >
                  >One must howl with the wolves [author]
                  >
                  >If you want to live with the wolves, you must howl with the wolves
                  >

                  >It's funny that all the other languages with this proverb use "wolves,"
                  >but the Polish version literally translates to "When you are among
                  >crows, you must walk like one".

                  When in Rome ...?

                  Michelle Maco Mader
                  Cleveland, Ohio USA
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
                    "Kto nema v hlave, ma v pa:tach"

                    A forgetful head makes a weary pair of heels [author]

                    He who doesn't have it in his head, has it in his heels

                    Helen
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                      "Mlady mo^z~e, stary musi (umreiet')"

                      A young man may die, but old man must die.

                      Helen
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 8, 2005
                        "Mylit' sa je l'udske, zotrvavat' v omyle diabolske"

                        To err is human, to forgive divine [author]

                        To make a mistake is human, to persist in a mistake is fiendish.

                        Helen
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 26 1:56 PM
                          Sorry, I almost forgot.

                          "Nudza je matkou mudrosti"