Re: Tuesday's proverb

  • sandman6294
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
      > Hodina ranna zlato dohan~a
      >
      > The early bird catches the worm. [author]
      >
      > The early hour catches the gold????????
      >

      > Helen

      Maybe:

      Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.

      RU
    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
        Morning hour is catching up with the gold

        Vladi

        At 12:03 AM 12/1/2004, you wrote:

        >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
        > > Hodina ranna zlato dohan~a
        > >
        > > The early bird catches the worm. [author]
        > >
        > > The early hour catches the gold????????
        > >

        > > Helen
        >
        >Maybe:
        >
        >Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
        >
        >RU
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ca5cbt/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705103562:HM/EXP=1101974692/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>
        >2c78eaa.jpg
        >
        >2c78ef5.jpg

        > *
        >
        > *

        Vladimir Linder
        Slovak Heritage Live quarterly Newsletter
        3804 Yale Street, Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
        Phone/Fax:: (604) 291-8065, Cell: (604) 889-4616
        Email: vlinder49@...
        FREE sample issue upon request. ONE TIME OFFER GOOD ONLY IN NORTH AMERICA
        Slovak-English and English-Slovak Translations US$35.00 per page

        You may check out our home pages at:

        www.slovakheritage.org
        www.lindervideo.com
        www.liptovskateplicka.com

        To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
        My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-907-279-508

        Advertising rates:

        Full page 9 3/4 x 7 1/4 US$600.00
        1/2 page 4 3/4 x 7 1/4 US$300.00
        1/4 page 3 3/4 x 4 3/4 US$150.00
        1/8 page 2 3/8 x 4 US$ 75.00
        1/12 page 2 3/8 x 2.5 US$ 50.00

      • PicasGurl@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
          The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?

          See you later,
          Haidee
          PicasGurl@...
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
            I assume so. I was looking for a better literal translation of the
            Slovak.

            Helen

            >>> PicasGurl@... 12/1/2004 1:17:55 PM >>>
            The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?

            See you later,
            Haidee
            PicasGurl@...

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            To visit your group on the web, go to:
          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
              At 02:17 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:

              >The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?
              >
              >See you later,
              >Haidee
              >PicasGurl@...

              Don't think it is exclusive to America it is British as well but I can't
              find the origin

              Nick
            • Nick Holcz
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2004
                At 02:17 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:

                >The early bird catches the worm IS an American saying, though, right?
                >
                >See you later,
                >Haidee
                >PicasGurl@...

                I looked in my dictionary of words and phrases and found the proverb origin
                it is from a book by W. Cambden 1636 Remains concerning England ( ed 5) "
                the early bird catcheth the worme

                Nick
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 25, 2005
                  "Kto chce s vlkmi z~it', musi s vlkmi vyt'"

                  One must howl with the wolves [author]

                  If you want to live with the wolves, you must howl with the wolves

                  It's funny that all the other languages with this proverb use "wolves,"
                  but the Polish version literally translates to "When you are among
                  crows, you must walk like one".

                  Helen
                • Michelle A Mader
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 25, 2005
                    >"Kto chce s vlkmi z~it', musi s vlkmi vyt'"
                    >
                    >One must howl with the wolves [author]
                    >
                    >If you want to live with the wolves, you must howl with the wolves
                    >

                    >It's funny that all the other languages with this proverb use "wolves,"
                    >but the Polish version literally translates to "When you are among
                    >crows, you must walk like one".

                    When in Rome ...?

                    Michelle Maco Mader
                    Cleveland, Ohio USA
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
                      "Kto nema v hlave, ma v pa:tach"

                      A forgetful head makes a weary pair of heels [author]

                      He who doesn't have it in his head, has it in his heels

                      Helen
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2005
                        "Mlady mo^z~e, stary musi (umreiet')"

                        A young man may die, but old man must die.

                        Helen
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 8, 2005
                          "Mylit' sa je l'udske, zotrvavat' v omyle diabolske"

                          To err is human, to forgive divine [author]

                          To make a mistake is human, to persist in a mistake is fiendish.

                          Helen
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 26, 2005
                            Sorry, I almost forgot.

                            "Nudza je matkou mudrosti"