Quake after the Gale

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2004
      On Tuesday afternoon, parts of the north-central Slovak regions of
      Orava, Liptov an Spis, including the High Tatras affected by the gale
      two weeks ago, experienced an earthquake. According to the Slovak
      Geological Institute, the epicenter was near the resort of Zakopane
      in the Polish Tatras. The Institute estimated its magnitude at
      around 4.5, but several world seismic data collection centers still
      showed no record of it 2 hours after the event. The early news
      releases said no damage had been reported.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • brieuc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2004
        To Martin and others who might be concerned about the earthquake. Any
        earthquake under a 5 on the Richter Scale is usually considered under a medium
        quake. Those of you, like myself, who live in California probably understand
        better about the seismic numbers. We've had a number of quakes in the 5 range and
        you can certainly feel them and things undulate pretty good but it is over
        fast and you can usually go about your business. Stuff might fall off shelves
        but that's about it. Of course the Slovak buildings might not all be up to
        earthquake standards, so there could be some damage from a quake of that size?
        Quakes above a 6 can be devastating, depending upon where you are at the moment.
        And then the aftershocks, and there could be aftershocks, can be a tad
        unnerving also. Has anyone heard anything further on the Slovak quake?

        Laverne
      • Daniel Kisha

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2004
            > Has anyone heard anything further on the Slovak quake?

            No damage reported, Laverne. I posted it for its curiosity value:
            earthquakes are quite unusual in that part of Slovakia. As you
            explained (and I knew, too, when I lived in L.A.), it was a minor
            event. A range of estimates collected by a European seismological
            center in Strasbourg, France, put it between 4.5-5.0. As I've said
            before, none of the major world seismic data centers reported it when
            it happened, and they still haven't -- and some report quakes as weak
            as 2.5. Should anyone be interested, a fairly detailed map with the
            epicenter is at <http://www.emsc-csem.org/> Click on "Map of recent
            earthquakes" on the left, and then on the circle over northern
            Slovakia/southern Poland.

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu