Monday's proverb

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
      "Dnes mne, zajtra tebe"

      "Today me, tomorrow thee" [author]

      This is a translation. Do we have a similar proverb in English?

      Helen
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 22, 2004
        Hl'adat' ihlu v kope sena

        To look for a needle in a haystack

        Helen
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 20, 2004
          Kaz~dy kohut je hrdinom na svojom smetisku

          Every cock will crow upon his own dung-hill [author]

          Every rooster is a hero on his own garbage heap

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 31, 2005
            "Kto mlc~i, ten svedc~i"

            Silence gives consent

            Helen
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7 7:42 AM
              "Kto seje vietor, zoz~ne burku"

              They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind

              Helen
            • Nick Holcz
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 7 6:13 PM
                At 11:42 PM 7/02/2005, you wrote:

                >"Kto seje vietor, zoz~ne burku"
                >
                >They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind
                >

                >Helen

                As you sow so shall you reap or

                He who lives by the sword dies by the sword

                there are quite a few along those lines in Oz we say what goes around come
                around
                .

                Nick
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 28, 2005
                  "Nehovor hop, kym nepreskoc~is~" [literally: Don't say "hop!" before you complete your jump]
                  Do not triumph before the victory. [author]
                  Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

                  My mom used to say this. "Hop!" is just something you might say as you jump. In English we might say..."eh-up!", or something like that.

                  Helen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 11, 2005
                    "Nic~ nove pod slnkom"
                    There's nothing new under the sun

                    Helen
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                      "Opatrnost'--matka mudrosti"
                      lit.: Carefulness/caution is the mother of wisdom
                      Prevention is better than cure

                      Helen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 18, 2005
                        "Proti veku nieto lieku"
                        lit.: Against old age there is no cure
                        There is a remedy for all things but death

                      • Nick Holcz
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 18, 2005
                          At 05:57 AM 19/07/2005, you wrote:
                          >"Proti veku nieto lieku"
                          >lit.: Against old age there is no cure
                          >There is a remedy for all things but death

                          I read that growing old is mandatory growing up is optional.

                          Nick
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 19, 2005
                            Goodness knows I'm living proof of that. ;-)

                            >>> nickh@... 07/18/05 11:45 PM >>>
                            At 05:57 AM 19/07/2005, you wrote:
                            >"Proti veku nieto lieku"
                            >lit.: Against old age there is no cure
                            >There is a remedy for all things but death

                            I read that growing old is mandatory growing up is optional.

                            Nick

                            Slovakia Heritage
                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          • Dr. Joe Q
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 19, 2005
                              You're only young once but you can be immature for
                              ever.

                              Dr. "Q"

                              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs