Re: [Slovak-World] Ticha Noc

  • David
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2004
      Ed: Very good....But! In the back of my mind, I remember signing Silent
      Night in Slovak, many moons ago. Reading from the web page, sure doesn't
      sound anything like I think I remembered. Hmmm, I wonder if this is one of
      the different dialects of Slovak?
      Dave Kuchta who doesn't speak the same Slovak Pavel speaks but yet
      whose ancestors came from the same town, but on opposite sides of the
      valley. I would like to say on the other side of the tracks, but no tracks!
      I think there is a small stream going through the town of Vrbovce.

      At 05:50 PM 11/5/2004 -0600, you wrote:

      > Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Ticha Noc
      >

      > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      > Can any of you please send me the words including the diacritical
      > marks? I
      > would surely appreciate it. If any of you have that song sheet I'd
      > appreciate
      > a copy of that too but I realize that the odds are small.
      > Thank you for your kind help.
      > Pavel
      >
      > Pavel,
      > For the words, go to http://silentnight.web.za/translate/slovak.htm
      > You can even listen to it at this site.
      >
      > Good luck.
      > Ed Klenovich

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >
      > Get unlimited calls to
      >
      > U.S./Canada

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ed Klenovich

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2004

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2004
            nsspiker@... writes:

            http://silentnight.web.za/translate/slovak.htm

            Ed,
            Thank you also for the words. I received a different set from Gil Kubancek
            and neither are the ones I remember as a youth. My background in Slovak
            comes from the extreme western end of Slovakia and I have to presume the words
            upi drmy and Gil's are from a different area of the country. I'll make a
            choice between them and use one of them.
            Thanks to all of you.
            Pavel

          • sandman6294
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2004
              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Taoz@a... wrote:

              My background in Slovak comes from the extreme western end of
              Slovakia ........> Thanks to all of you.
              > Pavel

              Have you tried this site?

              http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/snight.htm

              RU
            • Gregory J Kopchak
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2004
                If the record you had from Campbell, Ohio was the one from St
                Michael's, the lyrics were in Slavonic and not Slovak.

                Greg Kopchak

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 7, 2004
                  In a message dated 11/6/2004 4:25:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  sandman6294@... writes:

                  > http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/snight.htm

                  Sandman,
                  Thank you very much but this one also not the one I remember. In the one I
                  sang, the second line was "zjavila Bohu moc.." None of the 3 I have been
                  recommended have that line as the second. I'm just going to take my pick of the 3
                  I have now and use that one.
                  Many thanks to all of you.
                  Pavel

                • Taoz@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 7, 2004
                    Greg,
                    No, it was from Sv. Jana Krstitela and was in Slovak. But apparently nobody
                    has the words from that record. Incidentally, the record is from sometime in
                    the early 1970s. But thanks for your contribution also, Greg.
                    Pavel