RE: [Slovak-World] Re: Wednesday's proverb

  • PicasGurl@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
      Thank you for the clarification Jane! You seem to be new on this list
      since the last time I was here. Welcome to the list! In fact, welcome
      to all new SW'ers since I was last here!

      See you later,
      Haidee
      PicasGurl@...
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 15, 2004
        Jednym uderom zabit' dve muchy

        To kill two birds with one stone [author]

        To kill two flies with one blow

        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 9, 2005
          "Kto vel'a sl'ubuje, malo dava"

          He that promises too much, means nothing [author]

          He who promises much, gives little

          Helen
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 23, 2005
            "Lievat' vodu do Dunaja"

            To carry coals to Newcastle [author]

            To pour water into the Danube

            Helen
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 9 11:51 AM
              "My o vlku a vlk za humnami"

              Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]

              We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

              Helen
            • Michelle A Mader
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 9 12:10 PM

                >"My o vlku a vlk za humnami"
                >
                >Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]
                >
                >We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                Would this be similar to "Don't borrow trouble" ?

                Michelle Maco Mader
                Cleveland, Ohio USA
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 9 12:20 PM
                  We'd say "Speak of the devil..."

                  Helen

                  >>> Michelle.A.Mader@... 03/09/05 3:10 PM >>>

                  >"My o vlku a vlk za humnami"
                  >
                  >Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]
                  >
                  >We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                  Would this be similar to "Don't borrow trouble" ?

                  Michelle Maco Mader
                  Cleveland, Ohio USA

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  To visit your group on the web, go to:
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 23 7:40 AM
                    "Na vlastnej s~kode sa c~lovek uc~i"
                    Adversity is the school of wisdom [author]
                    A person learns from his own mistakes [literally]

                    Helen
                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 20, 2005
                      "Niet ruz~e bez trnia"
                      No rose without a thorn