RE: [Slovak-World] Re: Wednesday's proverb

  • Jane Policelli
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
      Haidee
      Pan - gentleman - sir
      pani -lady
      very formal

      Jane

      -----Original Message-----
      From: PicasGurl@... [mailto:PicasGurl@...]
      Sent: November 3, 2004 4:22 PM
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Wednesday's proverb

      Helen F,
      What is the difference between pan and pani, if you don't mind me
      asking? Does it have anything to do with gender? Just curious.

      See you later,
      Haidee
      PicasGurl@...

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • PicasGurl@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
        Thank you for the clarification Jane! You seem to be new on this list
        since the last time I was here. Welcome to the list! In fact, welcome
        to all new SW'ers since I was last here!

        See you later,
        Haidee
        PicasGurl@...
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 15, 2004
          Jednym uderom zabit' dve muchy

          To kill two birds with one stone [author]

          To kill two flies with one blow

          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 9, 2005
            "Kto vel'a sl'ubuje, malo dava"

            He that promises too much, means nothing [author]

            He who promises much, gives little

            Helen
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 23, 2005
              "Lievat' vodu do Dunaja"

              To carry coals to Newcastle [author]

              To pour water into the Danube

              Helen
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 9 11:51 AM
                "My o vlku a vlk za humnami"

                Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]

                We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                Helen
              • Michelle A Mader
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 9 12:10 PM

                  >"My o vlku a vlk za humnami"
                  >
                  >Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]
                  >
                  >We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                  Would this be similar to "Don't borrow trouble" ?

                  Michelle Maco Mader
                  Cleveland, Ohio USA
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 9 12:20 PM
                    We'd say "Speak of the devil..."

                    Helen

                    >>> Michelle.A.Mader@... 03/09/05 3:10 PM >>>

                    >"My o vlku a vlk za humnami"
                    >
                    >Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]
                    >
                    >We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                    Would this be similar to "Don't borrow trouble" ?

                    Michelle Maco Mader
                    Cleveland, Ohio USA

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    To visit your group on the web, go to:
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 23 7:40 AM
                      "Na vlastnej s~kode sa c~lovek uc~i"
                      Adversity is the school of wisdom [author]
                      A person learns from his own mistakes [literally]

                      Helen
                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 20, 2005
                        "Niet ruz~e bez trnia"
                        No rose without a thorn