Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Wednesday's proverb

  • PicasGurl@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
      Helen F,
      What is the difference between pan and pani, if you don't mind me
      asking? Does it have anything to do with gender? Just curious.

      See you later,
      Haidee
      PicasGurl@...
    • Jane Policelli
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
        Haidee
        Pan - gentleman - sir
        pani -lady
        very formal

        Jane

        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
          Thank you for the clarification Jane! You seem to be new on this list
          since the last time I was here. Welcome to the list! In fact, welcome
          to all new SW'ers since I was last here!

          See you later,
          Haidee
          PicasGurl@...
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 15, 2004
            Jednym uderom zabit' dve muchy

            To kill two birds with one stone [author]

            To kill two flies with one blow

            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 9, 2005
              "Kto vel'a sl'ubuje, malo dava"

              He that promises too much, means nothing [author]

              He who promises much, gives little

              Helen
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 23, 2005
                "Lievat' vodu do Dunaja"

                To carry coals to Newcastle [author]

                To pour water into the Danube

                Helen
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 9, 2005
                  "My o vlku a vlk za humnami"

                  Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]

                  We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                  Helen
                • Michelle A Mader
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 9, 2005

                    >"My o vlku a vlk za humnami"
                    >
                    >Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]
                    >
                    >We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                    Would this be similar to "Don't borrow trouble" ?

                    Michelle Maco Mader
                    Cleveland, Ohio USA
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 9, 2005
                      We'd say "Speak of the devil..."

                      Helen

                      >>> Michelle.A.Mader@... 03/09/05 3:10 PM >>>

                      >"My o vlku a vlk za humnami"
                      >
                      >Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]
                      >
                      >We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                      Would this be similar to "Don't borrow trouble" ?

                      Michelle Maco Mader
                      Cleveland, Ohio USA

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                      To visit your group on the web, go to:
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 23, 2005
                        "Na vlastnej s~kode sa c~lovek uc~i"
                        Adversity is the school of wisdom [author]
                        A person learns from his own mistakes [literally]

                        Helen
                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 20, 2005
                          "Niet ruz~e bez trnia"
                          No rose without a thorn