Re: Wednesday's proverb

  • raybravo2000
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
      Pani Fedor,

      Dakujem. The proverbs feature consisantly add color and humor to
      Slovak-World.

      Colin

      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
        Nemate za c^o. And "pani" is way too formal for this list, pan Colin.
        ;-)

        Helen

        >>> colinv@... 11/3/2004 12:04:42 PM >>>

        Pani Fedor,

        Dakujem. The proverbs feature consisantly add color and humor to
        Slovak-World.

        Colin

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
        > "C^o zasejes^, to budes^ z^at"
        >
        > "What you sow, you must mow" [author]
        >
        > As you sow, so shall you reap.
        >

        > Helen

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Get unlimited calls to
        U.S./Canada
        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:
      • PicasGurl@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
          Helen F,
          What is the difference between pan and pani, if you don't mind me
          asking? Does it have anything to do with gender? Just curious.

          See you later,
          Haidee
          PicasGurl@...
        • Jane Policelli
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
            Haidee
            Pan - gentleman - sir
            pani -lady
            very formal

            Jane

            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
              Thank you for the clarification Jane! You seem to be new on this list
              since the last time I was here. Welcome to the list! In fact, welcome
              to all new SW'ers since I was last here!

              See you later,
              Haidee
              PicasGurl@...
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 15, 2004
                Jednym uderom zabit' dve muchy

                To kill two birds with one stone [author]

                To kill two flies with one blow

                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 9, 2005
                  "Kto vel'a sl'ubuje, malo dava"

                  He that promises too much, means nothing [author]

                  He who promises much, gives little

                  Helen
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 23, 2005
                    "Lievat' vodu do Dunaja"

                    To carry coals to Newcastle [author]

                    To pour water into the Danube

                    Helen
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 9, 2005
                      "My o vlku a vlk za humnami"

                      Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]

                      We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                      Helen
                    • Michelle A Mader
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 9, 2005

                        >"My o vlku a vlk za humnami"
                        >
                        >Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]
                        >
                        >We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                        Would this be similar to "Don't borrow trouble" ?

                        Michelle Maco Mader
                        Cleveland, Ohio USA
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 9, 2005
                          We'd say "Speak of the devil..."

                          Helen

                          >>> Michelle.A.Mader@... 03/09/05 3:10 PM >>>

                          >"My o vlku a vlk za humnami"
                          >
                          >Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]
                          >
                          >We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                          Would this be similar to "Don't borrow trouble" ?

                          Michelle Maco Mader
                          Cleveland, Ohio USA

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 23, 2005
                            "Na vlastnej s~kode sa c~lovek uc~i"
                            Adversity is the school of wisdom [author]
                            A person learns from his own mistakes [literally]

                            Helen
                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 20, 2005
                              "Niet ruz~e bez trnia"
                              No rose without a thorn