Wednesday's proverb

    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
      "C^o zasejes^, to budes^ z^at"

      "What you sow, you must mow" [author]

      As you sow, so shall you reap.

      Helen
    • raybravo2000
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
        Pani Fedor,

        Dakujem. The proverbs feature consisantly add color and humor to
        Slovak-World.

        Colin

        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
          Nemate za c^o. And "pani" is way too formal for this list, pan Colin.
          ;-)

          Helen

          >>> colinv@... 11/3/2004 12:04:42 PM >>>

          Pani Fedor,

          Dakujem. The proverbs feature consisantly add color and humor to
          Slovak-World.

          Colin

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
          > "C^o zasejes^, to budes^ z^at"
          >
          > "What you sow, you must mow" [author]
          >
          > As you sow, so shall you reap.
          >

          > Helen

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          Get unlimited calls to
          U.S./Canada
          Yahoo! Groups Links
          To visit your group on the web, go to:
        • PicasGurl@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
            Helen F,
            What is the difference between pan and pani, if you don't mind me
            asking? Does it have anything to do with gender? Just curious.

            See you later,
            Haidee
            PicasGurl@...
          • Jane Policelli
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
              Haidee
              Pan - gentleman - sir
              pani -lady
              very formal

              Jane

              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
                Thank you for the clarification Jane! You seem to be new on this list
                since the last time I was here. Welcome to the list! In fact, welcome
                to all new SW'ers since I was last here!

                See you later,
                Haidee
                PicasGurl@...
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 15, 2004
                  Jednym uderom zabit' dve muchy

                  To kill two birds with one stone [author]

                  To kill two flies with one blow

                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 9, 2005
                    "Kto vel'a sl'ubuje, malo dava"

                    He that promises too much, means nothing [author]

                    He who promises much, gives little

                    Helen
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 23, 2005
                      "Lievat' vodu do Dunaja"

                      To carry coals to Newcastle [author]

                      To pour water into the Danube

                      Helen
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 9, 2005
                        "My o vlku a vlk za humnami"

                        Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]

                        We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                        Helen
                      • Michelle A Mader
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 9, 2005

                          >"My o vlku a vlk za humnami"
                          >
                          >Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]
                          >
                          >We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                          Would this be similar to "Don't borrow trouble" ?

                          Michelle Maco Mader
                          Cleveland, Ohio USA
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 9, 2005
                            We'd say "Speak of the devil..."

                            Helen

                            >>> Michelle.A.Mader@... 03/09/05 3:10 PM >>>

                            >"My o vlku a vlk za humnami"
                            >
                            >Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]
                            >
                            >We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                            Would this be similar to "Don't borrow trouble" ?

                            Michelle Maco Mader
                            Cleveland, Ohio USA

                            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 23, 2005
                              "Na vlastnej s~kode sa c~lovek uc~i"
                              Adversity is the school of wisdom [author]
                              A person learns from his own mistakes [literally]

                              Helen
                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 20, 2005
                                "Niet ruz~e bez trnia"
                                No rose without a thorn