Jan Bircak's book on Slovak Bishop Gojdic

  • Fred G Kovalyak
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      Hello S-W members,
      Rcvd the msg below from my cousin Richard M.
      Kopchik. I recently visited him in Philly, he told me
      about a Professor,Jan Bircak in Presov writing a book
      about Slovak Bishop Gojdic

      In the communications with Jan, he said that he is
      finishing up writing a biography of Bishop Pavol
      Gojdic.
      (http://www.vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/saints/ns_lit_doc_20011104_beat-gojdic_en.html)

      Bishop Gojdic officiated the Greek Catholic community
      of eastern Slovakia for 30 or 40 years (I think from
      the 40's to the 70's or beyond) and was declared
      "blessed" by Pope John Paul.

      Anyway, Jan says that he is having difficulty in
      securing all the necessary funds to get the book
      published and was asking if we (anyone related to his
      family or interested in the works of the Bishop and
      the Greek Catholic church of Slovakia) were interested
      in supporting him in this endeavor.

      I know there are many worthy causes to send funds
      to Slovakia. This "seems" to me like one that S-W
      members "may" want to HELP ???

      Fred G Kovalyak
      ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
      Richard Kopchik wrote:
      Subject: Jan Bircak's book on Bishop Gojdic

      > In going over my "to do" lists I found
      > that I had not yet sent you the information on the
      > book that Jan Bircak is doing on Bishop Gojdic.
      > Below are two items taken from e-mail notes from Bob
      > P.

      > The first is about the book and the second
      > is about sending money to Jan in Slovakia. Jan
      > Bircak is one of my European "Shema" (Sima) cousins.
      >
      > He is a retired Professor of Physics at the
      > University of Presov. He lives in an apartment in
      > Presov and has a cabin in Circ. Since he retired he
      > and his wife Viera spend more time at their cabin.
      > Jan is not very fluent in English, Bob communicates
      > with him in Slovak.
      > Regards, Richard
      >
      > In the communications with Jan, he said that he
      > is finishing up writing a biography of Bishop Pavol
      > Gojdic.

      (http://www.vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/saints/ns_lit_doc_20011104_beat-gojdic_en.html)

      > Bishop Gojdic officiated the Greek Catholic
      > community of eastern Slovakia for 30 or 40 years(I
      > think from the 40's to the 70's or beyond) and was
      > declared "blessed" by Pope John Paul.

      > Anyway, Jan says that he is having difficulty in
      >securing all the necessary funds to get the book
      >published and was asking if we(anyone related to his
      >family or interested in the works of the Bishop and
      >the Greek Catholic church of Slovakia) were
      interested in supporting him in this endeavor.

      > I believe he said that donors would be recognized
      >in the introduction of the book.
      >
      > After checking around about how to do this (send
      > money), it seems that an electronic transfer
      > of money via Western Union might be possible. Don't
      > take this as any form of pressure. I just promised
      > Jan that I would make the appeal in his behalf.
      >
      > We managed to send 200 dollars to Jan Bircak
      > last week. We used Western Union and it seemed to
      > work pretty well. The cost to us was $22. We
      > simply used the Western Union desk at a local super
      > market. You could do the same, unless you know of
      > a preferable way.

      > When we filled out the form to send the money, we
      >also introduced a question (The Western Union forms
      >provide for this) which was the name of Jan's wife
      (Viera).

      > The surprising thing to me was how little
      >information the form requires for the receiver of
      the money. As I recall, all they asked for was the
      name of the receiver and the country and city name.
      But the system seems to work.

      Anyway, if you need some more information,
      > here are the particulars on Jan:
      >
      > Address: Prof. Jan Bircak
      > Phone no.: 421-51-7747810
      >
      > Bajkalska 19