RE: [Slovak-World] A proverb for Tuesday

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
      Or "In vino veritas!"

      Joe

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Helen Fedor [mailto:hfed@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 9:36 AM
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Slovak-World] A proverb for Tuesday

      "C^o triezvy mysli, opity povie"

      "What soberness conceals, drunkenness reveals" [author]

      What the sober man thinks, the drunken man says.

      Helen

    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
        At 10:36 PM 2/11/2004, you wrote:

        >"C^o triezvy mysli, opity povie"
        >
        >"What soberness conceals, drunkenness reveals" [author]
        >
        >What the sober man thinks, the drunken man says.
        >

        >Helen

        I was taught

        In vino veritas In wine the truth

        Nick
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2004
          I also thought of "Out of the mouths of babes and drunkards comes the
          truth"

          Helen

          >>> nickh@... 11/2/2004 10:22:13 PM >>>
          At 10:36 PM 2/11/2004, you wrote:

          >"C^o triezvy mysli, opity povie"
          >
          >"What soberness conceals, drunkenness reveals" [author]
          >
          >What the sober man thinks, the drunken man says.
          >

          >Helen

          I was taught

          In vino veritas In wine the truth

          Nick

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          To visit your group on the web, go to:
        • Dr. Joe Q
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2004
            Veritas - the only word that appears on the crest or
            school seal of Harvard.

            I went to Notre Dame their crest is much more verbos:

            Vita
            Dulcedo
            Spes

            Life
            Sweetness
            Hope

            http://www.nd.edu/~wcawley/corson/schoolcolors.htm

            The "true wine grape" is vina vinfera

            Dr. "Q"

            --- Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:

            > At 10:36 PM 2/11/2004, you wrote:
            >
            > >"C^o triezvy mysli, opity povie"
            > >
            > >"What soberness conceals, drunkenness reveals"
            > [author]
            > >
            > >What the sober man thinks, the drunken man says.
            > >

            > >Helen
            >
            > I was taught
            >
            > In vino veritas In wine the truth
            >
            > Nick

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Gerald J. Sabo
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
              I suspect that the motto of Notre Dame {Our Lady}is based on
              a line from the Salve Regina: Salve Regina, Mater
              misericordiae, Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra salve--Jerry
              Sabo.

              > Veritas - the only word that appears on the crest or
              > school seal of Harvard.
              >
              > I went to Notre Dame their crest is much more
              > verbos:
              >
              > Vita
              > Dulcedo
              > Spes
              >
              > Life
              > Sweetness
              > Hope
              >
              > http://www.nd.edu/~wcawley/corson/schoolcolors.htm
              >
              > The "true wine grape" is vina vinfera
              >
              > Dr. "Q"
              >
              > --- Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:
              >
              > > At 10:36 PM 2/11/2004, you wrote:
              > >
              > > >"C^o triezvy mysli, opity povie"
              > > >
              > > >"What soberness conceals, drunkenness reveals"
              > > [author]
              > > >
              > > >What the sober man thinks, the drunken man says.
              > > >

              > > >Helen
              > >
              > > I was taught
              > >
              > > In vino veritas In wine the truth
              > >
              > > Nick

              > protection around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > click here

              > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
            • Dr. Joe Q
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
                Dear Fr. Jerry,

                Correct, it is!

                Dr. "Q"

                --- "Gerald J. Sabo" <gsabo@...> wrote:

                > I suspect that the motto of Notre Dame {Our Lady}is
                > based on
                > a line from the Salve Regina: Salve Regina, Mater
                > misericordiae, Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
                > salve--Jerry
                > Sabo.

                Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                www.yahoo.com
              • Edward T. Surkosky
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
                  Veritus is the motto of the "Domine Canis" (hounds of God) the Dominicans - Order of Preachers,
                  founded by St. Dominic de Guzman (1180-1220)

                  Ed Surkosky - etsmred@...