Re: Word needed.

  • sandman6294
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 1, 2004
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Jane Policelli"
      <jane.policelli@s...> wrote:
      > Hi Helen
      > My grandmother used to refer to a rag as hadra
      > Jane

      In Slovak, handra is one of the words used for rag. We were
      discussing modifications of English words to replace Slovak words.
      This was usually the result of constant exposure to English by the
      emigrants but mostly by their children who were more at home with
      English. As a result, instead of handra they corrupted the English
      word "rag" to regsa, reksa, or rexa to make it sound like a Slovak
      word.

      RU
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 8, 2004
        Where on the SW side did you grow up? I lived on the SE side.

        >>> BJLK@... 11/7/2004 2:05:18 PM >>>

        In a message dated 11/1/2004 8:39:33 PM Central Standard Time,
        krejc@...
        writes:

        used to have a man ride down President Street with a horse and buggy
        (1950's) and he collected rags and papers

        When I was growing up on the southwest side of Chicago (30s and 40s),
        we had
        scores of men like this cruising up and down our alleys. We even knew
        who
        paid the best prices, because our mothers saved newspapers for certain
        ones
        and had us looking out for their horses. A particular favorite had a
        buggy
        pulled by a sweet piebald that loved children's attention. They were
        known in
        our neighborhood as the "regsa-lies," which is (I think) a corrupted
        version
        of their chant that sounded something like "rags and iron." This
        brings back
        some good memories of other horse-and-buggy vendors of fresh fruit and

        produce who would pass out free samples to all the kids.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Get unlimited calls to
        U.S./Canada
        Yahoo! Groups Links