Dukla Pass

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 26, 2004
      I have been researching the Dukla Pass fighting of Sept-Nov 1944.
      I've posted a bunch of photos and a brief English-language summary
      here
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Military_dukla_pass.htm

      Recently a webmaster in Russia has begun to publish Soviet battle
      maps for this region as well as western Slovakia. I am collaborating
      with him to translate to English all six maps, which are written in
      Russian. I have almost completed my annotation of these maps. These
      maps for the most part show the Soviet offensive Southward from
      Poland and Westward from Ukraine.

      You can find pointers to the original battle maps here:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/maps.htm#Soviet_battle

      This is an important breakthrough. While this material was published
      some time ago in Russia, it has only recently become generally
      available to the Western public. Since most of these battles did not
      involve US/Great Britain forces, there was only cursory summary
      information provided in English-language history texts.

      If you have further information (or know of others who may) and would
      like to contribute to the English-language pages on Dukla fighting,
      please drop me a note.

      Bill Tarkulich
    • gergely
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2004
        Bill, this is fantastic! Although I can't offer much help, other than a
        deep interest. We visited the Dukla site in 95, and since have searched for
        English language descriptions of the battle with very little success. I'm
        thrilled that you are pursuing it.

        I do have some family letters from Pucak (Korunkova) written around 1947
        that described my family's plight with the villages having being burnt and
        having to live in tents, but they don't seem to give any details of the
        fighting.

        Will be looking forward to any new developments, and I would be interested
        in buying anything that becomes published.

        Jack Gergely
        Newport News

        .

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Gergely
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2011
          BTW, Rich Custer's family is from very close to where the battle was. I've asked him about if he knows much about it several times. But, he's more interested in wooden churches that battle sites.
          Also, there is a great museum dedicated to the battle in Svidnik.
          No English when we were there, but I wonder if things have changed. Might try locating it on the web. If I have time later, I'll look for its' information. Trying to paint a car today.
          Jack

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2013

          • John Yowpa III
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2013
              Sounds great Cathie! I will definitely put on my list of things to see. Due
              east of my ultimate goal....eventually :) (maly lipnik)

              --
              John Yowpa III, MD

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
                Thank you SO MUCH for this post, Cathie!

                To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Friday, August 9, 2013, 3:41 PM

                I am in Slovensko for vacation. Today, my cousin
                and I drove to Dukla Pass from Spisska Nova Ves. It took
                2.5 hours. It is not close to anything, well, maybe an hour
                or so from Presov can be considered
                close.<br/><br/>If you are ever in the area,
                this should be on your must see list. The monument is
                beautiful. It is at the site of the graves of at least 800
                soldiers from all countries involved in the battle.
                observatory/museum. It was only 1 Euro to go to the deck 8
                stories up. What a view. If you used your imagination, you
                can just see the battles going on. There are plenty of
                artifacts to see, including tanks, weaponry and
                miscellaneous items. Along the way there, you see old tanks
                and Howitzer-style cannons in the
                fields.<br/><br/>The monument and tower are just
                a few meters from Poland, like 30 meters, so we did. Now I
                can say I was in Poland! I also have the pictures to prove

                it.<br/><br/>The trip back included a stop in
                Vysny Komarnik just south of Dukla at an old Rusyn wooden
                church. I've never seen one. I only took pictures from
                the road.<br/><br/>We stopped at Svitnik for
                another war memorial. The plaques were written in Czech and
                Russian.<br/><br/> I highly recommend a trip to
                Dukla with stops along the way.<br/><br/>Cathie
                Mail for iPad

              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 10, 2013
                  The Dukla Operation is also covered as part of the exhibition in Banska Bystrica in the "Museum of Slovak National Uprising". I stopped in there to see how the display might have changed in 10 years, and it covers more of the international participation, including the western allies.

                  Do ask for the English language Exposition Guide when you go in, however. It adds a lot that would be missed otherwise. They also have many monitors with different part of the stories with videos in various languages, including English.

                  To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>