Proverb for Thursday

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 14, 2004
      "Ciel' svati prostriedky"

      "The end justifies the means" [author]

      "The goal blesses the means"

      Helen
    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 14, 2004
        Not:

        The means justify the end. ??

        Dr. "Q"

        --- Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:

        > "Ciel' svati prostriedky"
        >
        > "The end justifies the means" [author]
        >
        > "The goal blesses the means"
        >

        > Helen

        http://vote.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
          Chudobna je to mys~ c~o ma len jednu skrys~

          The mouse that has but one hole is quickly taken [author]

          Poor is the mouse who has only a single hiding place

        • gergely
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 10, 2004
            Letters to the editor: Conflict in Kiev based on religion

            The letter-to-the-editor" below appeared in today's Daily Press from
            Newport News. The link is below:

            http://www.dailypress.com/news/opinion/dp-25680sy0dec10,0,2464959.story?coll
            =dp-opinion-editorials

            The letter surprized me, because there are very few people of Central
            European descent in this area. I've been curious about how the election
            will affect the Rusyn population in Ukraine. I have no knowledge of the
            writer's background or motivation, just posting it for information, and
            maybe to start some dialog. I would be interested in learning a little on
            the current situation for Rusyns in the area (Ukraine).

            Jack Gergely

            Letters to the editor:

            December 10, 2004

            It's alarming to watch TV and read about the unrest in Kiev, Ukraine, since
            the unrest doesn't spring out of desire for personal liberty or freedom from
            foreign domination. It is religious unrest camouflaged under the layer of
            charges about a fraudulent election.

            Kievan Rus [the predecessor of modern Russia and Ukraine] in 988 A.D.
            embraced a Greek Orthodox branch of Christianity from Byzantium, while most
            of Kiev's immediate neighbors, including Lithuania and Poland, pledged
            allegiance to the pope. The animosity that sprung from it persists to this
            day on both sides.

            Three hundred years of occupation by Lithuania and Poland (14th-17th
            century) gave Kievan Rus its present name, "ocraina" (meaning "outskirts" in
            Polish) hence today's Ukraine. During the long bondage, many Kievans turned
            Catholic. Others, however, became Uniates, recognizing papal authority but
            retaining Orthodox rites of worship. It is the non-Orthodox wearing orange
            we see today on our TV screens.

            One cannot help but wonder what such fervor could unleash upon the world,
            especially with Russia watching the region that gave birth to its country
            more than 1,000 years ago, watching Kiev, the cradle of Orthodox religion.

            Historian MacKenzie Wallace, in his 1877 treatise "Russia," wrote
            prophetically these words applying to our own times, as if he meant us
            specifically: "Let us always beware of mistaking imaginary for real
            interests and of fighting about a misunderstanding."

            Iraq taught us about mistaking imaginary for real. May it as well teach
            Kievans of today how not to pursue imaginary interests of a darker past,
            turning them into Sunnis and Shiites of the Slavic world.

            Nina Markovna Scollan
          • Sara Peticiously
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 11, 2004
              From the Washington Post: 12/11/04

              Doctors: Yushchenko Poisoned With Dioxin

              The Associated Press
              Saturday, December 11, 2004; 9:40 AM

              VIENNA, Austria -- The mysterious illness of Ukrainian opposition leader and presidential candidate Viktor Yushchenko was caused by dioxin poisoning that was likely intentional, doctors said Saturday.

              "There is no doubt about the fact that Mr. Yushchenko's disease has been caused by a case of poisoning by dioxin," said Dr. Michael Zimpfer, director of Vienna's private Rudolfinerhaus clinic.

              Zimpfer said Yushchenko's blood and tissue registered concentrations of dioxin 1,000 times above normal levels.

              "It would be quite easy to administer this amount in a soup," Zimpfer said, adding that tests showed the dioxin was taken orally. "The criminal investigation does not fit within our purview but ... there is suspicion of third-party involvement."

              Tests run over the past 24 hours provided conclusive evidence of the poisoning, Zimpfer said.
              When first seen by the Austrian doctors, Yushchenko was in a "critical stage" but was "not on the verge of dying," Zimpfer said.

              He is now in "satisfactory" condition and his dioxin levels have returned to normal.
              Yushchenko has accused Ukrainian authorities of trying to poison him in the runup to a presidential vote marred by fraud. Ukraine's Supreme Court voided the outcome of that vote, which Yushchenko lost to Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych, and a rerun of the ballot is slated for Dec. 26.

              Yushchenko first fell ill in September and was rushed to the Vienna hospital. He resumed campaigning later in the month but with a pockmarked and badly disfigured face.
              He returned to the hospital later in September for further treatment and checked in for a third time Friday.

              � 2004 The Associated Press

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 3, 2005
                "Kto neskoro chodi, sam sebe s~kodi"

                Last come, last served [author]

                He who arrives late hurts himself [his own cause]

                Helen
              • Nick Holcz
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 3, 2005
                  At 12:21 AM 4/02/2005, you wrote:

                  >"Kto neskoro chodi, sam sebe s~kodi"
                  >
                  >Last come, last served [author]
                  >
                  >He who arrives late hurts himself [his own cause]
                  >

                  >Helen

                  I know the opposite " first in best dressed"

                  Nick

                  PS thanks for the proverbs I look forward to reading them
                • William F Brna
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
                    How about "Garbage in, garbage out" for a contemporary version?

                    Bill Brna

                    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:28:06 +0800 Nick Holcz <nickh@...>
                    writes:

                    > At 12:21 AM 4/02/2005, you wrote:
                    >
                    > >"Kto neskoro chodi, sam sebe s~kodi"
                    > >
                    > >Last come, last served [author]
                    > >
                    > >He who arrives late hurts himself [his own cause]
                    > >

                    > >Helen
                    >
                    > I know the opposite " first in best dressed"
                    >
                    > Nick
                    >
                    > PS thanks for the proverbs I look forward to reading them
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
                      Or The early bird gets the worm.

                      Amen to Nick's comment - I look forward to the proverbs too, one of
                      the best things to come in on the list! Thanks Helen!

                      Joe

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
                        Not really. It's about being late.

                        Helen

                        >>> wfbrna@... 2/4/2005 6:27:51 AM >>>

                        writes:

                        > At 12:21 AM 4/02/2005, you wrote:
                        >
                        > >"Kto neskoro chodi, sam sebe s~kodi"
                        > >
                        > >Last come, last served [author]
                        > >
                        > >He who arrives late hurts himself [his own cause]
                        > >

                        > >Helen
                        >
                        > I know the opposite " first in best dressed"
                        >
                        > Nick
                        >
                        > PS thanks for the proverbs I look forward to reading them

                        To visit your group on the web, go to:
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
                          My pleasure. I'm looking forward to doing the same thing with idioms
                          when I'm done with the proverb book. It'll be a while though, as we're
                          only in the Ks.

                          Helen

                          >>> JArmata@... 2/4/2005 8:20:18 AM >>>
                          Or The early bird gets the worm.

                          Amen to Nick's comment - I look forward to the proverbs too, one of
                          the best things to come in on the list! Thanks Helen!

                          Joe

                          >He who arrives late hurts himself [his own cause]
                          >

                          >Helen

                          I know the opposite " first in best dressed"

                          Nick

                          PS thanks for the proverbs I look forward to reading them

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                          To visit your group on the web, go to:
                        • sandman6294
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
                            > My pleasure. I'm looking forward to doing the same thing with
                            idioms
                            > when I'm done with the proverb book. It'll be a while though, as
                            we're
                            > only in the Ks.
                            >
                            > Helen

                            I use them to impress our social set. The proverbs come tripping off
                            (or over) my tongue at our frequent dinners and soirees. ;-) Vdaka.
                            As for idioms, as long as I'm not included in the list, it's fine
                            with me.

                            RU
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 10, 2005
                              "Nac~ierat' vodu kos~om"

                              To draw water in a sieve [author]

                              To draw water in a basket [literal]

                              Helen
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 7 7:00 AM
                                "Nes~tastie nechodi po horach, ale po l'udoch"
                                literally: Misfortune doesn't walk among the hills/mts., it walks among people.
                                Misfortunes seldom come singly [author]

                                Helen
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 28, 2005
                                  "Remeslo ma zlate dno"
                                  lit.: A craft has a golden base
                                  He who has an art, has everything a part

                                  You'll never go hungry if you know a craft????? A little elucidation, Martin?

                                • Martin Votruba
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 28, 2005
                                    > "byt' ako cumlik"
                                    > lit.: to be like a [baby's] pacifier ????????

                                    Authors of dictionaries make use of other dictionaries published
                                    earlier. My guess is that this phrase was picked up from a
                                    Czech--English source, or that its use is highly regional in the
                                    author's area (Trnava, whose dialect is closer to Czech than most
                                    other varieties of Slovak). It's _jak cumel_ and fairly common as an
                                    idiom in Czech, but I think that the Czech idiomatic meaning (as
                                    opposed to the literal one "[used] as/like a [baby's] pacifier" that
                                    you give, Helen) is practically non-existent in Slovak.

                                    > "Remeslo ma zlate dno"
                                    > lit.: A craft has a golden base
                                    >
                                    > A little elucidation, Martin?

                                    I think many Slovaks would recognize this one, but its meaning is
                                    just historical today. _Dno_ is "the bottom [of a vessel/body of
                                    water]," so it's like "there's a gold bottom [line] to knowing a
                                    craft." The message was that craftsmanship, manufacturing was more
                                    profitable than farming.

                                    Martin

                                    votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 29, 2005
                                      Boy, am I ever glad we have you to untangle these for us.

                                      >>> votrubam@... 07/28/05 7:32 PM >>>
                                      > "byt' ako cumlik"
                                      > lit.: to be like a [baby's] pacifier ????????

                                      Authors of dictionaries make use of other dictionaries published
                                      earlier. My guess is that this phrase was picked up from a
                                      Czech--English source, or that its use is highly regional in the
                                      author's area (Trnava, whose dialect is closer to Czech than most
                                      other varieties of Slovak). It's _jak cumel_ and fairly common as an
                                      idiom in Czech, but I think that the Czech idiomatic meaning (as
                                      opposed to the literal one "[used] as/like a [baby's] pacifier" that
                                      you give, Helen) is practically non-existent in Slovak.

                                      > "Remeslo ma zlate dno"
                                      > lit.: A craft has a golden base
                                      >
                                      > A little elucidation, Martin?

                                      I think many Slovaks would recognize this one, but its meaning is
                                      just historical today. _Dno_ is "the bottom [of a vessel/body of
                                      water]," so it's like "there's a gold bottom [line] to knowing a
                                      craft." The message was that craftsmanship, manufacturing was more
                                      profitable than farming.

                                      Martin

                                      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS