Re: [Slovak-World] Help needed.

  • David
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
      Oh boy! This is more then I could ask for. I'm sure the group will be more
      then pleased with my attempt at Chinese. Just like when I visited Slovakia,
      my Slovak was smiled upon, regardless of how bad it was.
      Dave

      At 08:28 PM 10/4/2004 -0700, you wrote:

      >Nee how (with just a hint of an "r" sound after the
      >"how") or "hubba how" means "How are you", the
      >response is usually "Ding How", however, a varoius
      >grades of "How (=good)" exist from Ding How, to Hng
      >How (meaning OK) to Hung Why (which means something
      >like "very bad").
      >
      >I have to check a couple of of my notes, but I think I
      >can give you a reasonably understandable couple of
      >phrases for "Welcome to the coal mine."
      >
      >She She Nee.
      >
      >Dr. "Q"
      >

      >--- agp@... wrote:
      >
      > > Dave
      > >
      > > I can't give you a complete translation, but Hello
      > > is something like Nee
      > > who-wah, with the who-ah bit spoken very quickly.
      > > Nee goes up in tone and
      > > who dips and wah is flat. Either that or its Stir
      > > Fried Squid. No --
      > > seriously, check out the languages section at Yahoo:
      > >

      >http://dir.yahoo.com/Social_Science/Linguistics_and_Human_Languages/Languages/Specific_Languages/Chinese/
      > >
      > > I knew listening to Radio Peking on Shortwave during
      > > the early 70s would
      > > pay off someday!
      > >
      > > Tony P

    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
        Dear Dave,

        Here it is:

        NEE HAO (hello)

        HUAN YING (welcome)

        NEE DAO JEW (to number 9)

        HAO KUANG JEAN (coal mine)

        Here are a couple of other words:

        TSI TSEE YEN (good bye)

        SHE SHE NEE (thank you)

        Chinese has a sing song rythm and lilt, however, the
        above will be understandable as written.

        Good luck.

        Dr. "Q"

        --- David <humblebe@...> wrote:

        > Maybe it's not Slovak, but it is this here pure
        > Slovak, that needs the
        > help. So that's 50%, no matter which way you cut the
        > cake.
        > As you know, or might not know, I am the president
        > and mine tour guide of
        > the No.9 Mine and Museum in Lansford, PA This is an
        > Anthracite mine.
        > Today we had a group of Chinese tourists, that made
        > reservations for a bus
        > load of tourists from, The Presbyterian Church of
        > New York City. The van
        > had Chinese writing on the sides of the van. Most
        > didn't understand
        > English. I will need one of their group as a
        > interpreter, as we tour the mine.
        > OK! This is where I need the help. I know a lot of
        > you guys are very
        > talented people. Probably Yanko (Yano) would have
        > the answer. I don't
        > really know if he is still with us. (undercover)
        > How do you say in Chinese......Hello, welcome to the
        > No. 9 Mine. Of course
        > I need this in phonetic English. Any help would be
        > appreciated. I know
        > without hearing it, I will probably butcher the
        > Chinese language...but am
        > willing to give it a shot. I will have to fake in
        > the high/low pitches of
        > the various syllables.
        > Being ever humble....Dave

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Dr. Joe Q
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
          I never let the language get in the way fo where I
          lived or visited. We lived in Japan for 4 years
          (1971-1975)and traveled to Hong Kong, Thailand,
          Taiwan, Laos, Neepal, Phillipines, Korea, etc. I'll
          give any language a shot.

          The pinyin for what I sent a few minutes ago is:

          Ni hao, huan ying ni dao jiu hao kuang
          jin:

          Hello, welcome coming to number 9 coal mine.

          I also speak broken Japanese and broken French! And
          off course everyone on this list knows the universal
          language of science -- broken English.

          Dr. "Q"

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
            Dr. "Q": I think I will write that on the palm of my hand. This way with
            holding both hands up a little for emphasis, I will be able to read it off.

          • 75430.543@escapees.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
              Dr. Q;

              That's always a good attitude to take when living or traveling abroad.

              Best,

              Florian

              In a message dated 05-10-04 3:06:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              doctor_jq@... writes:

              > I never let the language get in the way fo where I
              > lived or visited.

            • amiak27
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
                Miner Dave,

                Writing it on the palm of your hand is a great idea. As an honest
                miner, you know how important good, solid cribbing is to a safe mine!

                Ron

              • sandman6294
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...> wrote:

                  > Miner Dave,
                  >
                  > Writing it on the palm of your hand is a great idea. As an honest
                  > miner, you know how important good, solid cribbing is to a safe
                  mine!

                  > Ron

                  That one got me to beaming.

                  RU
                • Dr. Joe Q
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
                    Dear Humble Dave,

                    Practice it a few times. I am sure you can learn it
                    by heart in about 30 minutes. Don't think of it as a
                    speech. Come up with a few ryhmes assosciated with
                    anything you see regularly:

                    NEE HOW - Knee High by the 4th of July but I don't
                    know HOW high a knee is (that's where the corn should
                    be at that time of the year)

                    HUANG YING - HANG it IN (it's just word association
                    how about come on in?)

                    NEE DAO JEW - That "knee" high thing about the 4th of
                    July; "OWH!" I hurt my "SHOE" (when I kicked the knee
                    high corn - it doesn't make any sense but you'll
                    probably remember it)

                    HAO KUANG JEAN - WOW! King KONG GIN (what else would
                    you drink in a deep coal mine?).

                    Or put something else together.

                    You'll do just fine and "WOW - (DAO)" the socks off
                    the visitors.

                    We have to make a trip to Eastern Penna to visit you
                    sometime.

                    Dr. "Q"

                    http://vote.yahoo.com
                  • David
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 6, 2004
                      Big thanks! The mine tours are on Sat. and Sun, to the end of Oct. Then
                      from the first Sat in Nov. we do work in the mine every Sat. getting it
                      in shape for the following tourist season which begins in May of 2005. Mud,
                      dirt, rock and timbers, mixed with a little water. Oh how I love the work!
                      Miner Dave

                    • gergely
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 27, 2004
                        Below is a nice website that an in-law of mine in Slovakia sent. Her
                        husband apparently makes really detailed miniatures of Slovak homes,
                        churches and Nativity scenes. Sizes, prices and very detailed photos are on
                        the web site as well as contact information. They're fairly expensive, but
                        extremely detailed, including interior appointments. Keep clicking on the
                        photos of the miniatures, and eventually the detail will show.

                        Jack Gergely

                        PS: My husband offers hand-made maquetts of typical Slovak builings (his own
                        work) at http://www.drevenice.szm.sk/

                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 18, 2006
                          Dear friends,

                          As usual, I need a bit of help. I received an Easter card from my cousin
                          which also included a note. We didn't hear from him at Christmas time and the
                          explanation was in the letter. Last Palm Sunday he was carted off to the
                          hospital with a "heart Infarkt"and spent about 6 months in hospitals in Kyjova,
                          Brno, Hodonin and Uherske Hardis^te, with the rest of the sentence reading
                          "kde jsem byl pak vr^ijnu operovan a byl me^ odebran z^luc^nik." I don't
                          quite get all of it but the gist seems to be that they removed his gall bladder.
                          Can anybody clear up the rest of this especially "vr^jinu" which is a new
                          one on me?

                          The next sentence said that the operation developed some complications.
                          Right after that the next sentence reads: "Bylanarus^ena cevka ados^lo ke
                          krvaceni do dutiny br^is^ni." Man, I don't get this one at all. First of all, the
                          first long word looks as if it should have been 2 words as "byla narun^ena"
                          but either way I don't get it. I think "cevka" means "a little vessel" but
                          what vessel? "ados^lo" probably should be "a dos^lo", I think. "krvaceni" I
                          think means something like "bloody" but I haven't the faintest idea what
                          "dutiny br^is^ni" means. I'm not even sure if the last word is br^is^n" or if
                          the word begins with an "o" or a "b" as it is really unclear even though this
                          note is typewritten and the "i" is inserted in pen. The whole darned
                          sentence doesn't make sense to me. It continues that they let him out of the
                          hospital on December 29 and he is recuperating there for the last 3 months.

                          The next sentence again is a puzzler. He says that he is feeling pretty
                          good but "doplatila no do pater^ a kloubi". Pater is spine and I think kloubi
                          is joints but I really don't get the gist of the sentence.

                          Next one again is puzzling. It says, "S^patne chodim musim i po dome
                          pouz^ivat francoske hole." I take that to say "It is difficult walking and around
                          the home I must use....what is "francoske hole"? I presume it is some kind
                          of walking aid like a 4 pronged walker. Could this be correct?

                          He then speaks of his wife who is also having her difficulties. A sentence
                          about her reads, "Tech 81 roku ktere letos dovrs^i se na ni podepsalo." I
                          don't get the meaning of this one at all. Could this be that the 81 years of
                          her life are beginning to weigh her down?

                          The rest of it I have though it might seem to you as if I don't get the
                          whole thing. I'm more used to Slovak and this is obviously Czech though Moravian
                          Czech with a lot of Slovak thrown in and it's pretty easy to grasp.

                          I appreciate any help. I know it's a lot but I'd like to answer this with
                          the knowledge in me of what it said. Thank you all for any help.

                          Pavel

                        • Jan Vislocky
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 18, 2006
                            v rijnu operovan - had surgery in October
                            Removed gall bladder is right
                            Byla narusena cievka - vain was broken
                            Krvaceni do brusni dutiny - bleeding to abdominal area
                            francouske hole is something like cain
                            Rest of this you are right

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Taoz@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 19, 2006
                              In a message dated 4/18/2006 10:01:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                              mjvisl@... writes:

                              The next sentence again is a puzzler. He says that
                              > he is feeling pretty
                              > good but "doplatila no do pater^ a kloubi". Pater
                              > is spine and I think kloubi
                              > is joints but I really don't get the gist of the
                              > sentence.

                              I requested help in some translations and got everything straightened out
                              except the above which I still do not understand. I thank the translator very
                              much and request that the above phrase be made understandable.

                              Again thank you very much.

                              Pavel

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 19, 2006
                                "doplatila no do pater^ a kloubi" = My spine and joints are the worse off for it (i.e. it's affected my spine and joints).

                                Helen

                                >>> Taoz@... 04/19/06 2:30 PM >>>

                                mjvisl@... writes:

                                The next sentence again is a puzzler. He says that
                                > he is feeling pretty
                                > good but "doplatila no do pater^ a kloubi". Pater
                                > is spine and I think kloubi
                                > is joints but I really don't get the gist of the
                                > sentence.

                                I requested help in some translations and got everything straightened out
                                except the above which I still do not understand. I thank the translator very
                                much and request that the above phrase be made understandable.

                                Again thank you very much.

                                Pavel

                                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                              • Taoz@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 19, 2006
                                  Helen,

                                  Dakujem, dakujem. Now I have the whole thing in my mind and I can answer
                                  the letter in due course.

                                  Pavel