Re: [Slovak-World] Television 50 years ago today

  • agp@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
      Noreen

      Absolutely! Shortwave radios can be had for as little as US$45. To make
      tuning easy and precise, get one that has a digital display, just like your
      car radio. All you have to do then is just tap in the frequency, and hit
      the button that tune sit, and you will be set.

      Be aware that most of the times given for broadcasts are given in UTC,
      which is, for example, 4 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time, or 5 hours
      ahead of Eastern Standard Time. (UTC doesn't change). Radio Slovakia
      broadcasts to us every evening for 1/2 hour in English at 9PM EDT on on
      5930 khz and 9440 khz. This is followed by 1/2 hours in Slovak, French and
      Spanish.

      Radio Prague's schedule is similar.

      There is also a great wealth of other programming available. For example,
      Roman Catholics might be interested in being able to listen to WEWN from
      Birmingham Alabama, which is a radio service of Mother Angelica's EWTN TV
      network.

      Tony P
    • krejc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
        Martin and Tony,
        Thanks for the information. I am definately getting serious about a
        shortwave radio since they can start at $45. the digital sounds good.
        I may also have to learn how to do the internet with regards to pulling in
        music and broadcasting from foreign countries.
        thanks again. wow, is the world ever getting smaller.
        Noreen