Re: [Slovak-World] Television 50 years ago today

  • krejc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
      Greg,
      do you have the schedule of Polish and Russian programming on International
      Channel? I have never been able to pin it down.
      many thanks.
      Noreen
      ps. my granddaughter took Zuska home with her the other day and i will be
      curious to know how she liked it. the opening phrase "School was out" caught
      her attention in Chapter One.

    • krejc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
        Hi Tony,
        would someone who knew absolutely nothing about short wave radio (me), be
        able to purchase a set up that was not too expensive, learn how to use it, and
        pull in stations from Slovakia?
        Noreen

      • agp@telerama.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
          Noreen

          Absolutely! Shortwave radios can be had for as little as US$45. To make
          tuning easy and precise, get one that has a digital display, just like your
          car radio. All you have to do then is just tap in the frequency, and hit
          the button that tune sit, and you will be set.

          Be aware that most of the times given for broadcasts are given in UTC,
          which is, for example, 4 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time, or 5 hours
          ahead of Eastern Standard Time. (UTC doesn't change). Radio Slovakia
          broadcasts to us every evening for 1/2 hour in English at 9PM EDT on on
          5930 khz and 9440 khz. This is followed by 1/2 hours in Slovak, French and
          Spanish.

          Radio Prague's schedule is similar.

          There is also a great wealth of other programming available. For example,
          Roman Catholics might be interested in being able to listen to WEWN from
          Birmingham Alabama, which is a radio service of Mother Angelica's EWTN TV
          network.

          Tony P
        • krejc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
            Martin and Tony,
            Thanks for the information. I am definately getting serious about a
            shortwave radio since they can start at $45. the digital sounds good.
            I may also have to learn how to do the internet with regards to pulling in
            music and broadcasting from foreign countries.
            thanks again. wow, is the world ever getting smaller.
            Noreen