RE: [Slovak-World] Czechoslovak History Trivia Question

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
      The show is being repeated on History Channel International
      at Midnight Central time.

      It should start tonight at 10:00 pm in California on
      History Channel International.

      The show is called "The War Clouds Gather 1935-1939"
      and is part of the "Century of Warfare" series.

      The documentary starts with the Spanish Civil War and runs
      through the Munich Accord and the results that followed.

      It should follow the Tuskegee Airmen movie.

      Greg Kopchak

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2004
        > OK, I give up

        Before Greg gets to it -- I don't know whether this is the only one,
        Colin: "Voices in Time" by Vanilla Fudge ("The Beat Goes On"). Released
        in 1968 when Czechoslovakia was invaded by the Soviets and their allies.

        With a Windows Player, you may be able to listen to a sample from it by
        clicking on the track at:

        www.vh1.com/artists/az/vanilla_fudge/138724/album.jhtml

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • Gregory J Kopchak
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
          Martin:

          You got it right. "Voices in Time" on "The Beat
          Goes on" by Vanilla Fudge.

          Another sound byte from Chamberlain's Munich Accord
          Speech "Never to go to war again" is echoed on several
          other tracks on the album.

          Some people viewed "The Beat Goes On" as a call to stop
          Soviet aggression in Eastern Europe. Others viewed it as
          a call for peace. Still others just liked the music.
          They didn't make the connection between the events of
          1938 and 1968.

          Due to another sound byte on the record, the sale of
          the album was banned in several countries.

          Greg Kopchak

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
            > Some people viewed "The Beat Goes On" as a call to stop Soviet
            > aggression in Eastern Europe. Others viewed it as a call for peace.

            Another apparently puzzling one concerning the Soviet invasion is "Back in
            the USSR" by the Beatles, whose next verse goes on to say "you don't know
            how lucky you are, boys..." released in 1968. Disregarding the musical
            references, I came across a comment describing the song as an expression
            of joy of returning to a communist country. But the text of the song is
            quite ironic and the "you" in the second verse does not refer to those
            living in the Soviet Union.

            One song about the invasion specifically was released in 1968:
            "Czechoslovakia" by Julie Driscoll, a British pop/avant-jazz singer. She
            appears to have performed in Bratislava about two months before the
            invasion.

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          • raybravo2000
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
              I found this regarding Paul McCartney and the song in question:

              http://www.geocities.com/~beatleboy1/db112068.int.html

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>