Re: [Slovak-World] Czechoslovak History Trivia Question

  • pjjano@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
      so how could Neville Chamberlain become a rock star when he died in 1940

    • Gregory J Kopchak
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
        The show is being repeated on History Channel International
        at Midnight Central time.

        It should start tonight at 10:00 pm in California on
        History Channel International.

        The show is called "The War Clouds Gather 1935-1939"
        and is part of the "Century of Warfare" series.

        The documentary starts with the Spanish Civil War and runs
        through the Munich Accord and the results that followed.

        It should follow the Tuskegee Airmen movie.

        Greg Kopchak

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2004
          > OK, I give up

          Before Greg gets to it -- I don't know whether this is the only one,
          Colin: "Voices in Time" by Vanilla Fudge ("The Beat Goes On"). Released
          in 1968 when Czechoslovakia was invaded by the Soviets and their allies.

          With a Windows Player, you may be able to listen to a sample from it by
          clicking on the track at:

          www.vh1.com/artists/az/vanilla_fudge/138724/album.jhtml

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • Gregory J Kopchak
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
            Martin:

            You got it right. "Voices in Time" on "The Beat
            Goes on" by Vanilla Fudge.

            Another sound byte from Chamberlain's Munich Accord
            Speech "Never to go to war again" is echoed on several
            other tracks on the album.

            Some people viewed "The Beat Goes On" as a call to stop
            Soviet aggression in Eastern Europe. Others viewed it as
            a call for peace. Still others just liked the music.
            They didn't make the connection between the events of
            1938 and 1968.

            Due to another sound byte on the record, the sale of
            the album was banned in several countries.

            Greg Kopchak

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
              > Some people viewed "The Beat Goes On" as a call to stop Soviet
              > aggression in Eastern Europe. Others viewed it as a call for peace.

              Another apparently puzzling one concerning the Soviet invasion is "Back in
              the USSR" by the Beatles, whose next verse goes on to say "you don't know
              how lucky you are, boys..." released in 1968. Disregarding the musical
              references, I came across a comment describing the song as an expression
              of joy of returning to a communist country. But the text of the song is
              quite ironic and the "you" in the second verse does not refer to those
              living in the Soviet Union.

              One song about the invasion specifically was released in 1968:
              "Czechoslovakia" by Julie Driscoll, a British pop/avant-jazz singer. She
              appears to have performed in Bratislava about two months before the
              invasion.

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • raybravo2000
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
                I found this regarding Paul McCartney and the song in question:

                http://www.geocities.com/~beatleboy1/db112068.int.html

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>