Czechoslovak History Trivia Question

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
      I was watching the special on History Channel tonight
      on the Munich Accord, the German Invasion of
      Bohemia and Moravia, and the creation of Slovakia.

      The Munich Accord was a treaty between four countries,
      signed in Munich on September 29, 1938, by the prime
      minister of Great Britain, Neville Chamberlain, the
      prime minister of France, Édouard Daladier, Adolf
      Hitler, and Benito Mussolini.

      According to the agreement, Czechoslovakia had to cede
      the Sudeten lands to Germany by October 10. From that
      point on, things went bad fast.

      Neville Chamberlain made a rather infamous speech to
      celebrate the agreement. The History Channel special
      tonight featured parts of the speech.

      In the 1960's Neville Chamberlain became an American
      rock star when a portion of the recording made of his
      speech celebrating the Munich Accord was incorporated
      into a record album.

      The record album went on to be a best selling
      American record album in the late 60's.

      What was the name of the album and what was the group
      that made the record?

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative
    • pjjano@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
        I am watching the History Channel and there is nothing like thisthey have the
        Tuskgee Airman and on the International History Channel there is the Foot
        Soilder what time zone are you in we are in the Pacific Time Zone would be
        interesting to see

      • pjjano@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
          so how could Neville Chamberlain become a rock star when he died in 1940

        • Gregory J Kopchak
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
            The show is being repeated on History Channel International
            at Midnight Central time.

            It should start tonight at 10:00 pm in California on
            History Channel International.

            The show is called "The War Clouds Gather 1935-1939"
            and is part of the "Century of Warfare" series.

            The documentary starts with the Spanish Civil War and runs
            through the Munich Accord and the results that followed.

            It should follow the Tuskegee Airmen movie.

            Greg Kopchak

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2004
              > OK, I give up

              Before Greg gets to it -- I don't know whether this is the only one,
              Colin: "Voices in Time" by Vanilla Fudge ("The Beat Goes On"). Released
              in 1968 when Czechoslovakia was invaded by the Soviets and their allies.

              With a Windows Player, you may be able to listen to a sample from it by
              clicking on the track at:

              www.vh1.com/artists/az/vanilla_fudge/138724/album.jhtml

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • Gregory J Kopchak
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
                Martin:

                You got it right. "Voices in Time" on "The Beat
                Goes on" by Vanilla Fudge.

                Another sound byte from Chamberlain's Munich Accord
                Speech "Never to go to war again" is echoed on several
                other tracks on the album.

                Some people viewed "The Beat Goes On" as a call to stop
                Soviet aggression in Eastern Europe. Others viewed it as
                a call for peace. Still others just liked the music.
                They didn't make the connection between the events of
                1938 and 1968.

                Due to another sound byte on the record, the sale of
                the album was banned in several countries.

                Greg Kopchak

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
                  > Some people viewed "The Beat Goes On" as a call to stop Soviet
                  > aggression in Eastern Europe. Others viewed it as a call for peace.

                  Another apparently puzzling one concerning the Soviet invasion is "Back in
                  the USSR" by the Beatles, whose next verse goes on to say "you don't know
                  how lucky you are, boys..." released in 1968. Disregarding the musical
                  references, I came across a comment describing the song as an expression
                  of joy of returning to a communist country. But the text of the song is
                  quite ironic and the "you" in the second verse does not refer to those
                  living in the Soviet Union.

                  One song about the invasion specifically was released in 1968:
                  "Czechoslovakia" by Julie Driscoll, a British pop/avant-jazz singer. She
                  appears to have performed in Bratislava about two months before the
                  invasion.

                  Martin

                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                • raybravo2000
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
                    I found this regarding Paul McCartney and the song in question:

                    http://www.geocities.com/~beatleboy1/db112068.int.html

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>